Is RS GCSE well-regarded (not 'soft')?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
londonmum35

Is RS GCSE well-regarded (not 'soft')?

Post by londonmum35 »

DS is in yr 9 and it's time to choose options. Any thoughts on RS as a GCSE? Is it well-regarded, and not considered 'soft'?

He already has a humanity covered with Geography, and RS is not compulsory at his school. For him his last choice is down to either RS or music, and he enjoys both equally, and does well at both equally, but there's some elements in the music syllabus he's not sure he's as good at. He plays an instrument to grade 5 and plays in orchestra etc. Someone suggested that if he goes down a science route at A level, which he is likely to, a creative subject such as music would be more favoured by university amongst his range of GCSEs. Is it just as good to show you can play an instrument etc? He enjoys all the philosophical thinking of RS, although there's also a few elements of this course he's not looking forward to as much.

His other subjects are 2xEnglish, Maths, 3xScience, French as a MFL, Geography for a Humanity, he has chosen Latin as a 9th, and for him the 10th choice would be between RS and Music. If he goes with RS, I'm just checking it's not considered 'soft'.

Thanks for any advice!
Guest55

Re: Is RS GCSE well-regarded (not 'soft')?

Post by Guest55 »

They have to have an RS lesson in KS4 - it's statutory so most schools seem to enter the pupils for a short course GCSE.

Full GCSE RS is not a soft option but Music is also a good choice; grades six and above attract UCAS points so it is valued.
londonmum35

Post by londonmum35 »

Thanks, Guest 55. Yes they will continue to have non-examination RS as you mentioned, and it is the full GCSE he is thinking of choosing for his last choice of GCSE. I'm hoping he ought to be at least grade 6 by time of uni applications. Do you think RS GCSE will be just as good a choice as music?

He doesn't know what he wants to do further on yet, only that it's likely to be sciences he takes, so neither would necessarily lead on to an A level.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Either is fine - which does he prefer?

Music would give a wider variety but it's high grades that Universities are looking for. The grade 5 should mean full marks (or close to it) for the practical music then there's composition and a written paper.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have been asking questions about Music on another thread you might want to look at. RS is a done deal for us, it is more like ethics and I think it is tremendous. We are concerned about the composition part of music, my dd has Grade Six in one instrument and will be doing two more Grade Six's in the next two terms but composition does not interest her. I am concerned about the unknowns in GCSE Music. Unseen audition pieces, if we were choosing between RS and Music I would def choose RS. Also many of the strong musicians seem to be saying that they are not doing it because they get all the UCAS points through their Grades anyway. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What do you mean by 'unseen audition pieces'? That's not part of GCSE ..
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

My daughter took GCSE RS in year 11 last year at her super academically minded school. She took it because she enjoyed the ethics side and the debate. She is aiming for medicine and it is no bar to that.

She will be able to show Grade 6 on her UCAS or hopefully 7, so that covers showing artistic/creative ability.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Our school does WJEC who apparently send an examiner to the school. Can anyone give me more details. So Sally, did your dd chose RS instead of Music? DG
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

RS has no controlled assessments, so seems to be a far less time-consuming gcse to take than music. I can't remember which board my daughter is doing, but they are doing straightforward factual stuff about Judaism and Hinduism. Suits her perfectly as she's much more of a final exam rather than huge project person, as well as being busy out of school.

Other dd has to do RS anyway.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

Daogroupie wrote:Our school does WJEC who apparently send an examiner to the school. Can anyone give me more details. So Sally, did your dd chose RS instead of Music? DG
No, she did it because she liked it! She did Maths, English x2, science x3, French, German, Latin and RS. Now studying Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now