NVR Letts books

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jules7

NVR Letts books

Post by Jules7 »

Hello, I am new to NVR as Bucks is just changing over to include it in their 11+ and I thought we should take a look.

My DD is in Y4 and I thought I would try her out on NVR to see how she takes to it. I bought the age appropriate (8-9) Letts book and luckily she seems to like this sort of thing and got on well with the Qs. Do any of you NVR experts know what the Letts series is like in terms of complexity compared to Bond (which we haven't tried yet). Also, are there any more NVR papers/books more appropriate to NVR in Durham CEM tests I should be thinking about for the future? We want to do things steadily and in a low key way.

Thanks!
fairyelephant

Re: NVR Letts books

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi Jules7 - I'm no world authority on this but didn't want your post to go unanswered. I think Bond and Letts are quite similar in level, but there seems to be more types in Bond. For CEM its difficult to say what the test will contain, best to do a wide variety of stuff. You can buy or down load free test papers from different publishers (some through this site) and find things online to mix it up a bit. If you look in the Bucks section where they are moving to CEM this year, there is some helpful stuff about what to do in preparation, with your dc.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

CEM NVR is likely to include some formats which you don't find in the most commonly used books. So try to use a variety of formats to get used to being able to work out how to do new types even if you'd not come across them before rather than focussing too much on material from any one publisher. The Learning Together series had some slightly different ones, and I also used some of these which are a bit different to the usual ones.
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Thanks fairy elephant and okanagan!

We'll try some mixing and matching over time. At least she seems to like nvr (as I guess they are more like puzzles)!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now