Highgate maths...Any thoughts?????

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loveyouradvice

Highgate maths...Any thoughts?????

Post by loveyouradvice »

My DD has now sat 4 exams and both of us are perplexed that the Highgate Maths was so easy compared to all the others.

One of her friends reckons everyone will have got 100% in the Maths.... Doubt it, but expect most will be in highish 90s. And with 11 minutes for each page there was plenty of time for finger twiddling etc!

Was it an unusual year - or is this their approach?

IF so, seems very child-friendly but wonder how do they differentiate between applicants?
shootmenow

Re: Highgate maths...Any thoughts?????

Post by shootmenow »

DD found that some of the questions were not as simple as they appeared. Nothing actually beyond what she'd learned but some of the questions required careful reading and re-reading.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Interesting... wonder whether my DD didnt do the rereading!!!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Not worth worrying about now.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I hear this year after year. An easy maths paper is absolutely deadly, the very able students think they know what the questions is asking so they rush through and misread half the questions, see the thread on Parmiters about this , how the less able maths students ended up beating the more able. DG
delta

Post by delta »

Agree with daogroupie. My dd did this exam a few years ago and thought the maths was really easy. We later found out that her maths was not so great but her English, which she thought was really hard, was very strong. And she was (and still is) really good at maths!
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Oh heavens... and my daughter is very strong at Maths, so Ive been relying on this to pull her through!!!! Hoping that she didnt underestimate ... Id be surprised as I know Highgate have said they're keen to make it as similar to SATS as possible to make it accessible to state school kids....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now