Appeal cancelled due to weather

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slough mum

Appeal cancelled due to weather

Post by slough mum »

Bucks cancelled my appeal on Friday due to the bad weather and that on Monday they will inform me of the new date. How much notice do they need to give for appeal because they did say it could be sometime next week.

The Bucks late entry test is on Sat 2nd Feb – I did ask them if successful at appeal will my child have to sit the test on the 2nd. Especially when this will all be such short notice. Do I have any rights on the date of appeal and test date?
anotherdad

Re: Appeal cancelled due to weather

Post by anotherdad »

I don't understand why the 2nd February is short notice? It happens on the same date every year. How long have you known the test is to be sat on that date?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

anotherdad wrote:I don't understand why the 2nd February is short notice? It happens on the same date every year. How long have you known the test is to be sat on that date?
Slough Mum's concern is that the outcome of her appeal may now only arrive a day or so before the test, whereas she might have had a little more notice if the appeal had gone ahead on Friday as planned.

SM, you don't have any official "rights" in this situation, but I think the Appeals team will be doing their best to rearrange the hearing for the earliest possible date. Clearly the current circumstances are beyond their control.

I suggest that you call them and ask what arrangements they can make for notifying you of the outcome of your appeal, because that is going to be crucial. Also, will they be liaising with Admissions to ensure that, if the Appeal is successful, you receive notification of the test venue and time as promptly as possible? Regular post is really not the answer to either of those problems, but phone and email could be. Both teams have tended to be reluctant to go down that route, presumably for reasons of confidentiality, but this may be an occasion when you need to ask for exceptions to be made.

I think it would be fair to expect that you and your DC should know the result of the appeal by Thursday at the latest, giving you both more than 24 hours to prepare for it mentally.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just to add, anotherdad, unfortunately the Bucks 12+ has not always been on the same date in recent years by any means.

Even under BCC it had become a moving feast and with the Academies setting their own tests, it is all over the place now!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

:D I meant that the 2nd Feb occurs on the same date every year...!

I was implying to sloughmum that they should assume they need to be ready for 2nd Feb. If her appeal is successful, her child will then be ready, even if it is the next day.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

SA I did get an email from Admissions at Bucks CC stating Due to the time scale, we usually allow 14 days to advise parents of the test date and therefore, in your case this would not be appropriate. However, if your appeal is successful and you wish you child to be tested on the 2nd Feb you can waive your right to 14 days notice, you can do this by email.

Alternatively, we would arrange an alternative date during the week in later Feb. Once the outcome of the appeal is known you may wish to contact us again.

I will chase them tomorrow to see if they can make any other arrangements to notify me of the outcome of the appeal and if successful details of venue and time of test.
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I have contacted Bucks and they have confirmed that the appeals will be heard on Friday in the morning and they will then try to get the decision letters out in the afternoon. If we don't receive the letters by Monday, then we can contact them and they may email it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now