Greetings from newbie in N Swindon ! Help....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rob d2

Greetings from newbie in N Swindon ! Help....

Post by rob d2 »

Hi all,
Just starting out with the preparation for junior senior to attempt the Gloucs 11+ in Oct and hopefully go to Pates or one of the other GS.

TBH I am rather overwhelmed with the amount of info -it's like drinking from a firehose at present !
We have been doing some of the free practice questions from the site, but am now going to follow the DIY scheme which was posted by the Mods. Hopefully we will then get a tutor as we get closer to try and boost the chances a tad.

Following the schedule I notice various purchasable items recommended whcih I shall obtain, but some of the recommended gloucs items are not mentioned in the schedule (Walsh/Learning labs/first past the post/voc builder) .
If anyone has any comments if I need those please do say !!

It's along time since I did my Bucks 12+ (1984 !)
Sally-Anne

Re: Greetings from newbie in N Swindon ! Help....

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi rob d2, and welcome!
rob d2 wrote:Following the schedule I notice various purchasable items recommended whcih I shall obtain, but some of the recommended gloucs items are not mentioned in the schedule (Walsh/Learning labs/first past the post/voc builder) .
If anyone has any comments if I need those please do say !!
They are all "optional extras". Walsh are pretty tough, and should really only be used as lesson material, not as full tests; Learning Labs are fine (mid-range difficulty), but the vocab is a bit quirky in places; First Past the Post are new-ish, so don't feature in Patricia's programme, etc, etc.

See how you get on with the main materials Patricia recommends and then use these items to top-up if you need to. You don't have to cover all the suggested materials by any means!
rob d2

Post by rob d2 »

Ok,
Thanks Sally -Anne. My approach has been a bit 'scatter gun' so far but now I've got soemthing to follow....she just has to apply herself now !
moved

Post by moved »

Hi and welcome,

Which year will she be sitting the test? Gloucs are considering the CEM tests and are looking into them at the moment.
rob d2

Post by rob d2 »

Hi,
It'll be this year so as I understand it she is safe ? I think they are converting after that.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Hi,
We are also swindon and preparing for 11 plus. We are hoping for Marling (easy access on the train for my son)

We are also following the DIY from Patricia, and find it very straight forward, once I had worked out which books were which!

can I ask, will you move nearer Pates, or travel from here?
I ask because ds would prefer Pates, but travel seems a bit tricky