Should Nick Clegg send his children to State School?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pumpkin Pie

Should Nick Clegg send his children to State School?

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Should the Deputy Prime Minister send his children to State School.........Well, "we're all in it together" aren't we?
stroudydad

Re: Should Nick Clegg send his children to State School?

Post by stroudydad »

Personally. Don't think the surrender monkey should be allowed children at all, so I guess boarding at an indie is the next best thing
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

A lot of our local councillors send their children to private schools. Does wind me up. They need to be more interested in local education and basically they are not because their children go indies.
Amber

Post by Amber »

If everyone who ever acted hypocritically, on behalf of themselves or their children, were removed or disqualified from public office, there would be an awful lot of job vacancies and not many applicants qualified to fill them.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:If everyone who ever acted hypocritically, on behalf of themselves or their children, were removed or disqualified from public office, there would be an awful lot of job vacancies and not many applicants qualified to fill them.
Oh, how true. And how many of us don't really believe in selective education (or at least not in it's current form), but still jump through hoops to make sure our DC's get what we hope is the best education?
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

scary mum wrote:. And how many of us don't really believe in selective education (or at least not in it's current form), but still jump through hoops to make sure our DC's get what we hope is the best education?
This is true, but then most of us haven't used our beliefs to get elected and then throw them all down the toliet personally as and when it suits us.

I'm probably the biggest hypocrite of them all, and have been told this on here, as I have changed my views from passive acceptance of GS to becoming totally against them, but I'm not getting paid for my views, fortunately.

Also I do love Nick Clegg fro providing much needed humour in politics these days. You can always count on him :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I only realised afterwards that I was at school (indie) with a girl whose father was Director of Education for that LEA at the time.

It's not all necessarily hypocritical ... I'm being very evenhanded here ... I think some people are worried about their children in this situation - that it can be hard being the "boss's son / daughter".
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for help wrote:
scary mum wrote:. And how many of us don't really believe in selective education (or at least not in it's current form), but still jump through hoops to make sure our DC's get what we hope is the best education?
This is true, but then most of us haven't used our beliefs to get elected and then throw them all down the toliet personally as and when it suits us.
Nor have Nick Clegg's children, nor his wife - and they are 4/5 of the people affected. I would hate to have to be held personally responsible for all the beliefs my OH has ever spouted. :? OK, he doesn't get paid to hold forth, but I think it is unfair and morally problematic to expect an entire family to bear the brunt of one person's chosen career.
I'm probably the biggest hypocrite of them all, and have been told this on here, as I have changed my views from passive acceptance of GS to becoming totally against them
I think we share the title, LFH - I have also been so accused. :lol: But I don't see changing your mind as hypocrisy - it shows a maturity of thinking to be able to listen to debate and modify one's views. I am a banner-waving supporter of a fully comprehensive education system, and none of my children attends a 'comprehensive' school (we don't have them where I live). I don't think it would be right to sacrifice one's own children on the altar of one's own principles, while they are still too young to have any viable opinion on the matter.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Amber wrote:Nor have Nick Clegg's children, nor his wife - and they are 4/5 of the people affected. I would hate to have to be held personally responsible for all the beliefs my OH has ever spouted. :? OK, he doesn't get paid to hold forth, but I think it is unfair and morally problematic to expect an entire family to bear the brunt of one person's chosen career
This is probably true, but I so enjoy Clegg bashing, you see. I hold him personally responsible for actually nothing as that's what he's done so far :lol:

Although I do think he ought to feel a sense of responsibility to the community which he serves. But he clearly doesn't.

We have a truly comprehensive school where we are now, which my son attends. It's a good school, and in no way inferior to the GS my older ones went to. It is very different though.

Where we used to live there were comprehensives, but they weren't really as anybody who could do sent their children to the GSs in the neighboring boroughs. Consequently they were awful. :(
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Well it seems that Clegg minor won't be going to a private school after all. Like the Blair children before him he has managed to get a place at the London Oratory.
That possibility won't be open to the country's leading Liberal family, the Camerons. It will be interesting to see how that pans out...
Loopy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now