Bucks 12+ appeal to test

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sana15

Bucks 12+ appeal to test

Post by sana15 »

Hi Etienne and Sally-Anne

Can you please advise me on a couple of points for the appeal.

I received the appeal application(pack) on Friday to find the process is exactly the same as the non qualification appeal, so do I send my support evidence with the appeal form?
Also do they make their decision from this or do they have to conduct the appeal?
Your advise previously has been really helpful so do you have any tips for this ......

My supporting evidence is:-

Year 6 SATs
End of year 6 report
EP report conducted 04/12
Year 7 report given this Friday however in maths she's working at level 4.8 even though she recieved level 5 in ks2 SATs. Otherwise a very good report.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: 12+ appeal to test

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi nas
nas3434 wrote:do I send my support evidence with the appeal form?
You can do, or you can wait to send it 10 working days ahead of the appeal once you have the date. It seems unlikely that you will have any more evidence to submit, so it would seem sensible to send everything in now.

The only thing to watch out for is any tests that she might do between now and the appeal which could give you further evidence. You can take those with you on the day and hand them over together with any schoolwork at the end.
Also do they make their decision from this or do they have to conduct the appeal?
They have to conduct the appeal, I'm afraid.
My supporting evidence is:-

Year 6 SATs
End of year 6 report
EP report conducted 04/12
Year 7 report given this Friday however in maths she's working at level 4.8 even though she recieved level 5 in ks2 SATs. Otherwise a very good report.

That sounds fine, although I would be asking questions about the step backwards in maths! The panel are quite likely to ask you about it as well, so you need an explanation at your fingertips.
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Thanks S-A

Should I explain the 4.8 in maths in the covering letter or wait till the appeal hearing.

Reason, dd had a difficult start to secondary school due to school out of area so no pupils from primary school, and being taught by different cover teachers as main maths teacher left for maternity leave.

Also do I send SATs papers?

Lastly on this forum somewhere I saw a formula to work out overall KS2 SATs English please do you have that link again and should I include that at this stage or when I attend the appeal?
Thanks
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi S-A sorry forgot to ask in the year 7 report dd did not recieve level 5 in all the other subjects except tech. Do they take these results into account and is a explanation of she's had a difficult start acceptable? Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

nas3434 wrote:Should I explain the 4.8 in maths in the covering letter or wait till the appeal hearing.
I would definitely explain it briefly and factually in the letter. The panel can then always ask questions about it if they need to, but at least you have explained it in advance, rather than leaving lingering doubt in their minds before the hearing.
Reason, dd had a difficult start to secondary school due to school out of area so no pupils from primary school, and being taught by different cover teachers as main maths teacher left for maternity leave.
Be careful with the first point, and if the school can confirm any of it for you, so much the better. Hopefully they will also be willing to confirm the second point as well.
Also do I send SATs papers?
No, just the results, confirmed by the school. If the school won't confirm the results, take the papers with you on the day in case there is any doubt about the results.
Lastly on this forum somewhere I saw a formula to work out overall KS2 SATs English please do you have that link again and should I include that at this stage or when I attend the appeal?
I am afraid I can't recall that post, so try posting on the English section to see if someone can find it for you. Be wary of using a "home spun" formula though.
sorry forgot to ask in the year 7 report dd did not recieve level 5 in all the other subjects except tech. Do they take these results into account
I assume you mean all subjects other than English and maths? It is possible that they might take into account results from subjects such as history and geography. The panel can take account of all and any evidence that you submit. Does the Y6 report have SATs levels for other subjects in it? If so, do they show the same decline in performance? That could support your comments about the difficult start to Y7.
is a explanation of she's had a difficult start acceptable?

See above - confirmation from the school will help.
sana15

Re: Bucks 12+ appeal to test

Post by sana15 »

Thanks can I send you a copy of her report to the appeal box and the school have said that they will confirm as thought the unsettling period but not the maths teacher issue. I hope this is enough now.
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi moderators just to say thank you our appeal was allowed and a test date has been given in two weeks.

Any info/feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Great news -
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Sorry meant to say for the 12+ test itself.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Well done, nas! :D

Good luck for the test.
Etienne