How Was NLCS interview?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
omismum

How Was NLCS interview?

Post by omismum »

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to find out hows the interview experience for your DDS?

Thanks
vnmomma

Re: How Was NLCS interview?

Post by vnmomma »

My DD had her interview today and she said it went well but one never really knows for sure. In addition to the general "get to know you" questions, she had to do 3 logic puzzles on the spot. She said her answers were correct, according to the interviewer. That was a relief!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Glad it went well, van momma, although these questions are not about the 'right' answers. There is so much more that is being assessed.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Kingfisher wrote:Glad it went well, van momma, although these questions are not about the 'right' answers. There is so much more that is being assessed.
I agree. It is not about right answer. It is how the candidate worked out the answer that will demonstrate their thought process and problem solving ability. Good Luck everyone. :)
omismum

Post by omismum »

My DD had her's today too and bit worried about her performance as she found those jigsaw puzzle
hard.
she said she tried hard to solve it but answers were wrong.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

That won't matter, omismum. They are assessing how your DD would go about attempting to solve the problem, her strategies and methods, rather than finding the 'correct' answer. Someone could simply look at the puzzle, then give the answer without doing anything else, but what would the interviewer learn from that? They need to find out which children would cope with things they could not necessarily do, and how they would go about trying to work out the answers.
omismum

Post by omismum »

Thankyou kingfisher... :) its good moral support for me as she was in tears when she came out.
vnmomma

Post by vnmomma »

You are right in that the interviewer is assessing one's thought processes with the logic puzzles. However, all puzzles have an "answer" and are not open-ended like questions such as "What one thing in the world would you change?" which also assess reasoning but there is no "correct" answer.

From the descriptions my daughter gave of her puzzles which are along the line of verbal reasoning and more advanced math problems (one example was finding the order of 4 siblings and their ages given a few details), there is definitely an answer if one can get to it. She had to verbally explain how she came to each conclusion.

Logic puzzles are not open-ended questions.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

I agree there is always a correct answer to a logic puzzle. What the interviewer is looking for is how quickly the candidate can solve it. The shorter and the simple the process the better. DD really enjoyed the solving puzzles part of the interview as she loves puzzles.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

They arent necessarily expecting the right answer - My DD is doing similar at City and they were very clear that with their maths challenges they arent expecting the children to solve them (though some will), just observe how the approach it and how teachable they are.....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now