Paying for missed school meals

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

secondtime

Paying for missed school meals

Post by secondtime »

The school was closed due to the snow last week.

We have been asked to pay for 50% of the dinner charge that day.

Apparently you have to also pay if your child is ill and therefore is absent.

Does this sound right?
At our old school, we didn't pay if you didn't have a dinner for whatever reason.
I disagree in principle about having to pay for a meal when the school chose to close not me!
Am I just being mean?!!
moved

Re: Paying for missed school meals

Post by moved »

I wouldn't be happy. My DS pays with his thumb for what he eats, seems much fairer.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Why on earth do they expect payment? They were closed, no cooking was done, the ingredients would be used another day, they're trying it on. I'd refuse to pay. Send in packed lunches if they try it on further. An absolute disgrace, I've never heard anything like it before!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At DS1 and DD's schools, they use cash "pay as you go" systems - there is a "meal deal" each day at each, but lots of other options, so there is no way of knowing which pupil would have had what, or anything at all, so extracting payment like that would be difficult.

DS2 is in Yr5. We have to pay on Monday for any meals for that week, but get credited for any meals paid for but not taken. The school would certainly credit meals not taken due to closure :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Hi, was the school only closed for one day? Was it Friday?
Maybe they had lots of fish and chips that went to waste and are trying to get back their costs?

I would probably feel the same about paying.
That said, if the school has good lunches and they had a good reason to close, then I think paying towards (or even fully) for wasted food would be reasonable perhaps.

DW has just returned from Norway. They said it takes a flash snowfall of 24" before the airport is closed.
Do not think anything stops schools opening.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

state or indie? (the latter do try this sometimes)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

While I can see that they might ask for payment if the child is off sick (our primary school didn't, senior school is pay as you go with a card), most wouldn't. I think is it particularly outrageous if the school was closed.
scary mum
ahap

Post by ahap »

DS pays with his thumb for what he eats only. This is a very fair system. This is a state academy.
Last edited by ahap on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

State primary.

It is a small school and we order food in advance so it kind of 'belongs' to your child more than a larger school.

Cheques for dinners are made directly to County Council although a small independent firm provides them.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Our state primary, the children order on the day. I pay by cheque for several weeks in advance, we can only pay on Mondays and Wednesdays. If she isn't in then it doesn't get deducted.

On the day of the snow, the school announced it was closing at 11:30. I couldn't get there before 12:30, children who were down for having a lunch could still have it. Not sure what they would have done for those who ordered that morning but didn't take lunch after all.