Architecture

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Architecture

Post by scarlett »

Ds has said that he would like to study architecture and would like to know which are the best gcses for this. He has to choose his options in March, but I don't know if he should choose a variety, as he could change his mind ......

He is looking at...

Chinese, DT, sciences, history, geography, classical civilisation and computing. As well as maths, English.

Any ideas?
scary mum

Re: Architecture

Post by scary mum »

I have no idea (as is so often the case :D ), but wouldn't art be useful? Presumably some (sciences? a humanity ?). Is Chinese offered at school? How interesting. I would say keep it fairly broad at GCSE and as long as leaving something out that he may need for a particular career go for whatever he enjoys. Some things can be taken up at A level even if they aren't done at GCSE, but the school should be able to advise you.

Have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ar ... ure_Degree" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

Scarlet would graphic design be useful - they are offering it next year :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I had heard Art was a favourable subject too and know of a boy who went on to study architecture who took art at A level having not done it at GCSE.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Unscary and Belinda...I did mention art to DS who said he didn't want to take it..I think he thinks it's all pottery and drawing bowls of fruit. That's the problem they are so young to be making informed decisions....he is also put off Spanish because he doesn't like the teacher :roll: ......

MM...you were obviously paying attention yesterday....that's interesting, shall mention it to DS. I can't believe they have been there for just over a year and it's gcses already. Very depressing. Ds didn't seem to know who any of the teachers or rooms were at the options evening. I was beginning to wonder if we were in the wrong school.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Back in the day (ie 80s) you did have to produce a portfolio, so Art itself wasn't necessarily needed but competence in drawing/sketching was required . I looked into it myself but remembered I couldn't draw to save myself.

It was very hard to get not, not sure if that's the same these days, nor am I sure about the portfolio reuqirement. It's all electronic these days I'm sure :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks LFH......His teapots are pretty dire..but he does seem quite good at drawing and spends a lot of time doing some sort of sketch thingy online. They take their options early..he's only year 8....so it could all change. I did ask him what would he like to do other wise and he said "oh I quite fancy being a vet " which as we all know is quite similar to being an architect.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

:lol:

He sounds like my son, although his two choices are still doctor and hospital porter, so at least they're in the same field.
Plus he doesn't really like science which could be a worry :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I did ask him what would he like to do other wise and he said "oh I quite fancy being a vet " which as we all know is quite similar to being an architect.
:lol:
Why options so early, scarlett?
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

The head of Art said he hopes to run 2 seperate courses - one fine art and one graphic design - you take one or these. I'm sure if you email him he'll tell you more. I also spoke to the head of science who said they take the boys for triple science based on the level they achieve i.e 7a before 7b and so on. The exam is all of Year 7 and the start of year 8 :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now