TOGS - Extra places?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummsy3

TOGS - Extra places?

Post by mummsy3 »

Could someone please confirm that I have read the TOGS website correctly, they are allowing an additional 23 places for September 2013 intake, 18 in and 5 out of area?
mystery

Re: TOGS - Extra places?

Post by mystery »

Looks like it. Nobody seems to know really whether these increased in size are one-off or could be permanent. If it were me, I'd be cross if I was a grammar school head and was not allowed to increase my intake and then another grammar school was allowed to set up an annex. So if I were a head I'd be trying to make it a permanent increase if I possibly could! More bottoms on seats = more money, and an annex in Sevenoaks could work out as a decrease in bottoms on seats for some grammars unless the numbers were carefully worked out and managed by KCC.
Last edited by mystery on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
mummsy3

Post by mummsy3 »

I am only hoping this will give DD a better chance of getting a place on 414. Can't believe it's only 4 weeks to D day! Thankfully this is my last DC to go through this awful process.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It can only help your cause!
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I must admit that when I heard that WOK were going to be taking extra children again, I was a little surprised that TGS were not. My daughters are both there and since they opened the new building a couple of years ago there is so much room it seems crazy not to. I too will be interested to see what eventually happens. With the new Christian school, a grammar stream at Knole, a new grammar school annex and all this extra capacity at the existing grammar schools we might struggle to fill the places.....that would be a novelty for West Kent, a surplus of grammar places! :lol:

Good luck Mummsy3!
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's interesting, but maybe there already is a "surplus of grammar places". Some stats that someone put on this site a while back ( can't think where they are now) showed that around 30% of children got grammar places in Kent. That seems high.
ambermcs

Post by ambermcs »

I heard this to, I have a daughter in yr 9 there, with another in yr 5 so am hoping that along with the change of catchment we will now fall into in area and stand a good chance. Its worse second time around as i already know the school!
mystery

Post by mystery »

You should be well placed then. The test stays the same for 2013 so you know what you need to do to stand a good chance of high marks, and DD2 will be motivated as has big sis to emulate. Good luck!
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

Good news about the extra places. I wonder how that will affect the cut off score?
Last edited by daddylonglegs on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Boys' education matters more? :!: