A little request, but feel free to ignore it.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

A little request, but feel free to ignore it.

Post by Amber »

Not sure how to put this and I know I am in a tiny, tiny minority but...

I am finding it hard to read some threads on here lately as there seems to be a growing trend for people to add little fast-moving graphics at the bottom of their posts. I suffer from migraine with aura and this means anything flashing or dancing is almost impossible to risk looking at. I know that anyone with epilepsy or this kind of migraine will find the same.

I don't want to rein in people's creative tendencies but wonder if maybe (as I think happened once before?) busy, moving graphics could be confined to rehab?

Sorry if this offends anyone but please if anyone else is thinking of adding fast-moving images to their posts, bear in mind that it's a bit tricky for some of us.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how I can disable them when I am logged on...?

Thanks. :D
yoyo123

Re: A little request, but feel free to ignore it.

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll trundle down to the dungeon and see what others think, I seem to remember there was something about this earlier.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber - while the rumblings in the dungeon continue you can disable them:

User Control panel (top right of screen

Board Preferences

edit display option

Tick no to signatures (and possibly flash animations - though haven;t tried that yet)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Another forum I belonged to some years ago limited signatures to text only, I think it because it was something to do limits on the server. I can't remember.

My sister suffers migraines so I sort of understand why they can be different to deal with. I don't have one so wouldn't be affected if they were taken away.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It would be sad to see some of the fascinating quotes disappear if we blocked sigs completely.

I think it is a matter of reporting them when they turn up.

I have had a very few migraines in my life (albeit not induced by flashing lights) so I do sympathise with the problem.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks all. The particular issue with aura is that it seems (in me at least) to be triggered by issues on the peripheral vision...so if I am reading and something is doing backflips at the bottom of the screen my eyes don't cope. I can't do popups for similar reasons, nor flash photography on news films etc.

To be clear - no issue for me with colour, or signatures, just fast flickery graphics. I appreciate your taking it seriously but at the end of the day this is a forum for many and if it causes problems for just one or two (and I now know from pms that it isn't only me!) then it should serve the majority. I spend too long on it anyway...it's one way to get me off here. :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I haven't seen any! Is that I'm not very observant, not reading the right posts, or they just aren't showing up on my iPad? I feel for you, Amber, 2 of mine suffer :(
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm the same. Have to blow out candles in restaurants too. Better make sure you don't go the same place as me on feb 14 .
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:I haven't seen any! Is that I'm not very observant, not reading the right posts, or they just aren't showing up on my iPad? I feel for you, Amber, 2 of mine suffer :(
They show on my iPad. Don't want to single people out in case they feel I am getting at them. Will pm you.

Mystery: I live by candlelight! Seriously, got them lit now. Not sure why I can cope with that but I can. Odd. As for Valentines- think I will be alone in a London hotel. :cry: :cry:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Dh is usually away in feb, so this year I will have to make an unaccustomed effort.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now