Driving courses - under 17

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Driving courses - under 17

Post by scary mum »

Does anyone know of any good ones?
When I learnt I went to an off road centre when I was 16 (it is no longer there). It had mock roads with traffic lights, roundabouts, hills, junctions etc and was a fantastic way to start learning. I think I had about 4 lessons, starting on a simulator the first week. It meant that when I hit the roads I was in good control and familiar with the type of things I might come across. I have been looking for something similar for DD but all the ones I can find are more of a taster session - one or two hours, often on a race track when it isn't being used, or car parks etc.

We are based in South Bucks, although for the right thing I would be happy to travel - please let me know if you have heard of anything that might be worth looking into.

Thanks.
scary mum
Okanagan

Re: Driving courses - under 17

Post by Okanagan »

PGL do some holiday camps which include an introduction to driving for 13-16 year olds. 6 half days of driving skills and theory plus 6 half days multi activity. Would that be any use?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

There's a good one at Mercedes-Benz but I know you have to pay Mercedes-Benz prices :roll:

http://mb-drivingacademy.co.uk/uk/en/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Thank you, I'll have a look at these.
scary mum
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Okanagan wrote:PGL do some holiday camps which include an introduction to driving for 13-16 year olds. 6 half days of driving skills and theory plus 6 half days multi activity. Would that be any use?
£630 so a bit pricey! Also not until the summer by which time she will be 17, but had I known about it last year after GCSEs I might have thought about it. Great idea though, I think my other DCs would be interested - maybe I'll tell them to start saving up :D .
scary mum
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

scary mum wrote:
Okanagan wrote:PGL do some holiday camps which include an introduction to driving for 13-16 year olds. 6 half days of driving skills and theory plus 6 half days multi activity. Would that be any use?
£630 so a bit pricey! Also not until the summer by which time she will be 17, but had I known about it last year after GCSEs I might have thought about it. Great idea though, I think my other DCs would be interested - maybe I'll tell them to start saving up :D .
PGL take childcare vouchers though, if you happen to have those, which knocks a fair chunk off the cost. We still get them at the moment, although our need for them is diminishing as the kids get older, so I'll probably look at using them to send ds on something like this before we finally stop getting them.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

good point. I was planning to ramp down on these but maybe I need to be a bit more creative - although I don't want to get stuck with a load I can't use. DD has a complete phobia about PGL since she went on a disastrous Brownie camp where they spent the whole time doing climbing/up high activities and she has a problem with heights.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I have seen this company advertised near Brent cross and think they have other locations.

http://www.youngdriver.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

scary mum wrote:We are based in South Bucks, although for the right thing I would be happy to travel
Is Northampton too far?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Julie Martin in High Wycombe is the one people around here seems to use