Do the grammar schools find out 11+ score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lisa.1988

Do the grammar schools find out 11+ score?

Post by lisa.1988 »

I was under the impression that the schools in Bucks were unaware of 11+ scores but have just been told that the teachers know who scored what! Is this correct? As the mother of a child who was successful at appeal i am wondering if the Science teacher we spoke to recently was hinting at the fact that we appealed! DD is doing very well and is clearly at the right school even if science is not her strongest subject. Thanks!
Guest55

Re: Do the grammar schools find out 11+ score?

Post by Guest55 »

We do know but I take far more interest in the KS2 test marks.
Busymother

Post by Busymother »

Do Independent schools have to provide year 6 sats results to the Grammar Schools? Our school says they do not conduct sats and certainly haven't published any sats results for about four years.

I haven't told my child what they scored on the 11+. I always said that as long as they passed it didnt matter what they scored. Are they likely to be told by someone when they get to Grammar School? I don't want their younger sibling to ever feel they have to compete with them so would rather they didn't know.

Thanks in advance...
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

They can't provide what they don't have - our indie doesn't do SATS
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Our GS asked for the SATS if the school had done them As DCs school hadn't done them then nothing was passed over to them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have never discussed an 11+ score with a pupil. We never know how much the pupil has been tutored so the KS2 mark (or our baseline if they do not have KS2 results) is what is used to set targets.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I have never discussed an 11+ score with a pupil. We never know how much the pupil has been tutored so the KS2 mark (or our baseline if they do not have KS2 results) is what is used to set targets.
Which makes me curious as to how Heads can claim that the current (old) 11+ test was delivering "over-tutored children who struggle to cope".

Never mind, it's a hypothetical question.

As you were.
guest666

Post by guest666 »

Certainly the schools had pupils who failed to cope, in some cases appearing to be well below the standard expected.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am sure they did (and I know of some myself), but the question is whether that was as a result of over-tutoring or whether it was simply because the test was not sufficiently accurate as a measure of GS ability.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I was talking to a maths teacher at one of the GSs who is very happy with the proposed new test, as he thinks the old test didn't put enough emphasis on maths. I'm inclined to agree (reluctantly, as one with more language-oriented wiring :lol:). I have the impression that quite a few children do indeed struggle in particular with the high standard of maths at GS, although, as you say, there can be no statistics to prove that they are the ones who were tutored. The previous test focused predominantly on verbal ability, whereas the new approach certainly appears to demand greater balance. I wonder if it's such comments from maths teachers that may have filtered through to the heads that lie behind these suggestions, though. :?

It has to be said that any test with a pass rate of around 30% and a raw pass mark bordering on 94% would suggest that the tutors had got it down to a fine art! :?
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now