Something good about year 6

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JRM

Something good about year 6

Post by JRM »

I feel a bit bad that I have been moaning about SATS too much, so here is my antidote to moaning. I would just like to say that one of the things that I really like that they do in year 6 at our school is to watch Newsround with the kids and discuss current affairs.

Please feel free to add your stories in support of our hardworking teachers. :D
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
KS10

Re: Something good about year 6

Post by KS10 »

Responsibility.

Year 6 students have to spend an afternoon playing with a child in Reception - a lot of thought goes into the pairings - so that the younger child feels comfortable at the Christmas Fair where they are looked after by their Year 6 partner.
moved

Post by moved »

A long time ago, but a residential trip.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Me too JRM :oops: We all have to support each other don't we :)

I asked DD and she said the best thing is that yr 6 now get to sit on proper chairs in assembly rather the floor. I like that, bet they feel quite grown up!
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Yes, Responsibility- Becoming mentors for the younger ones, play ground monitors.

This is about the school.
The one I will miss the most is having school lunch with DD at her school with her friends sitting nicely with them on the stool. Do they invite parents at Secondary?
I will also miss seeing the head/deputyhead/teachers at the gate greeting the children when they go in. You can talk to them in the morning of any concerns you have or anything really. The lovely office administrators. Dinner ladies. Aw.......... :(
Last edited by ahap on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

With a second child going through year 6, I would have to say starting to learn how to deal with teenage angst. Sounds a bit premature, but year six seems to stir up all kinds of emotions....and at this age they still seem receptive to advice!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Year 6 go to France for a week just after february half term (party time at home :lol: )In year 5 they went to Osmington Bay (pgl).
Only half the year are going to France. Seems a shame, that more aren't going. I know cost is an issue, but not to some of the parents judging by the cars they drive.

In year 6 all the kids get allocated jobs, these rotate each half term. They have to write a letter of application, but in general most get a go at something they want. DD helps in the library one day a week, great for a book worm. Last time she was the computer prefect, so set up the screens and music for assembly.
pist

Post by pist »

Trip to France and lots and lots of drama :D
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

There will be a trip to Bude in June which DD is already looking forward to. They also go across to the early years building and play with/read to the nursery girls.
Yr 6 do the school tours on open days to prospective parents which makes them feel very responsible and grown up.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Business week - where they get a small sum to "invest" and have to come up with a product or service, price it, promote it, sell it and come up with a profit at the end, which pays for their leaving party.