13+ VR/English/Maths/Science practice papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mommachubba

13+ VR/English/Maths/Science practice papers

Post by mommachubba »

..Can ANYONE tell me where I can find resources for practice? I can't work out if the 11+ VR papers are used for the 13+ age range or not...even so my DD will be applying for entry into Yr 10 so she's actually 14+ when she sits the exams. The schools will, I suspect prepare their own papers for the Academic subjects but I imagine they'll buy in the VR paper.

Does anyone have any input/experience with this? I would really appreciate it, I posted a plea on the Pastoral Care board and haven't heard a peep yet :(

Would be so grateful..

PS schools are St Catherine's, Bramley, Headington Girls, Oxford, and Oxford High, Oxford.
Yummiemummie

Re: 13+ VR/English/Maths/Science practice papers

Post by Yummiemummie »

Hi there, for Headington girls it depends; if applying from a prep school for 13 plus you can buy the papers from the ISEB, also Galore Park website. Lots of past papers available. BUT if you are applying from a state school you sit the schools own tests as they know children won't have covered the CE curriculum.
OHS doesn't have a main intake at 13 plus. I would be wary of joining at that point as the girls will have had two years together already. Its fine if there is a decent intake at 13 plus and many schools add another class full, but I believe OHS doesn't.
I don't know about the other two.

Some schools have moved to their own exams at 11 plus from which they select children who they want to join at 13 plus stage. Those candidates then have to reach a desired mark in CE at 13 plus, this helps schools and parents to plan.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Have you tried asking the schools direct? You are in quite a unique situation, I'm sure they will point you in the right direction.
mommachubba

Post by mommachubba »

Thank you for your help Yummiemummie and fairyelephant, I do appreciate it.
yummimummie I didn't realise there were separate processes for Indie and state applicants..I'm not sure where DD would fall she's in an indie over here but obviously doesn't follow the same curriculum.it looks like contacting the schools, as fairy elephant suggests is the way to go. It is unique and far from ideal, I'd much rather have lots of past papers and tried and tested methods I can tell you! Thanks again y'all! (little taste of what I have to put up with over here for you!) :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now