Tips to boost child's immune system

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samlet

Tips to boost child's immune system

Post by Samlet »

My DD (10) is far more prone to coughs and colds than her brother and over the years has also collected far more of the minor catchable skin diseases like molluscum contagiosum and verrucas.

Does anyone have any good tips for boosting her immune system as it doesn't look as though she is growing out of this.

Thanks
Amber

Re: Tips to boost child's immune system

Post by Amber »

Fresh air, muck and animals. My lot have spent their childhood filthy and we keep chickens. Long after I turfed them out, scantily clad and barefoot to roam the fields, I read about the Hygiene Hypothesis and realised their love of mud and goats might have useful side effects. They do still get occasional colds but (touch wood) never stomach bugs. Never had nits either but not sure that link is so well established. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Am great fan of the hygiene hypothesis - kids had thorough exposure to just about every bug going and I never buy "antibacterial soaps" etc.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I was never overly clean either. The immune system needs something to get it going.
In addition she eats reasonably healthily and I give her omega 3 as it seems to help concentration issues she had. (Whether that works or is coincidence I don't know, but something changed in DD shortly after starting to take them). She also spends a lot of time outside in the fresh air, running around and stuff.
In 6 years at school, my Dd has been sent home once (Reception teacher a little over zealous to be honest). Had one day off in year three and two in year four.
She does get colds, but they are minor, although not once she gives them to me. Last time I had to take her to the docs was three weeks before starting school as she had chicken pox. She had managed to avoid catching it at nursery several times over the first four years of her life.
Reasonably cast iron stomach as well.
We call her Typhoid Mary. :lol:
I think some are blessed with a decent immune system to some extent.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I think Tinkers might be right...she might be more prone to these sort of things as I presume her brother eats the same food,plays out etc?

She doesn't have any underlying problems? Has she had a few courses of antibiotics over a short period of time? Could be worthwhile starting her on some probiotics, any imbalance in her healthy bacteria could have weakened her immune system.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I agree exposure to everything is good - or is that because we're not overly hygienic - but my kids are outside a lot, they walk/cycle to school, and are rarely ill. They caught lots of coughs, colds in reception when they started school - and now, they're ok. I think lots of fresh air (even freezing cold fresh air!) and exercise are good.

Too many antibiotics are not good. What's her diet like? Maybe worth some vitamin supplements?

That said, any theories why we all have warts on our hands?????!!!?!? Four out of six of us! And the kids had molluscum for years too - but that doesn't make you ill unless a spot gets infected - so maybe they're not that healthy ....

Everyone is different. I would try air, exercise, diet, vitamins. When I was a child, I used to cough and moan in order to have a day off school ... it never worked ...
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

scarlett wrote:I think Tinkers might be right...she might be more prone to these sort of things as I presume her brother eats the same food,plays out etc?

She doesn't have any underlying problems? Has she had a few courses of antibiotics over a short period of time? Could be worthwhile starting her on some probiotics, any imbalance in her healthy bacteria could have weakened her immune system.
Yup, DS eats the same food (which is pretty healthy). She walks to school (but it's only 150 yds!), plays out at break etc. I'm not a clean freak and we have cats, so there must be a fair exposure to dirt.

No underlying health problems, last antibiotics probably last year (she tends to get an ear infection about once a year and had gromits at 4), but only one course at a time.

Thinking about the gromits reminds me that she had her tonsils taken out at the same time - they were absolutely massive and the surgeon said they would be bound to have to come out later. But I do remember hearing that tonsils are a first line of defence against infection so, if they work, they are worth keeping. Perhaps that is the difference, as DS still has his!

I will try vitamins and probiotics again - have tried from time to time, but it's hard to find one with an acceptable taste!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Although tonsils and adenoids are the first line of defence, it is thought that tonsils are not necessarily that effective anymore at batting off infections...our children are in contact with so many more people these days then they used to be and as in your dd case, tonsils can be more of a liability then an asset.

Is it both vitamins and probiotics which she doesn't like the taste? Perhaps try liquid vitamins in yoghurt? Also too much sugar can have an affect on the immune system.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Also too much sugar can have an affect on the immune system.
Aha! That explains my own perma-flu since November ... :roll:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Thanks Hermanmunster for confirming that the reason my children are hardly ever ill is because they are almost permanently grubby.

I always think a lot of sleep helps too - well that's what I tell them. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now