Parents Evenings-5 Mins What do you ask? What should you?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
browneyedgirl

Parents Evenings-5 Mins What do you ask? What should you?

Post by browneyedgirl »

Hi,our first parents evening in secondary school is coming up and we get a 5 minute slot with each teacher. (same everywhere I guess) I wondered what we should be asking from a parents and a teachers perspective to get the most out of it.
hermanmunster

Re: Parents Evenings-5 Mins What do you ask? What should you

Post by hermanmunster »

I find they usually tell you how they feel your DC is getting on and then ask if you have any questions - to some extent what you ask will depend on what they have just told you. Some schools send out a report beforehand so you have something to work on.
copella

Post by copella »

Hi I really struggled with the idea of these parents evenings when my eldest started secondary school as I felt there wasn't enough time, but discovered that we were able to pretty much cover what I wanted to and with the teacher I had particular difficulteis with we arranged a separate time for a more indepth discussion. My youngest DS's school give suggestions of what parents may want to ask.

"Please feel free to ask the following: how your daughter/son is performing in relation to their potential; your daughter/son’s strengths and achievements; the areas for development for your son/daughter; how you can help; and whether your daughter/son is happy, settled and behaving well." I thought this was helpful.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have done three of these and another one coming up in a couple of weeks. My strategy is to not say anything and sit and listen first to what they think of my dd. I take copies notes while they talk which seems to throw some of them. Then I respond and ask my questions. I find this approach gets what I need from the session, others may prefer a different strategy. I also get a list of questions from dd written down beforehand which I make sure we cover. DG
Y

Post by Y »

Not sure that the 5 minute thing ever actually applies. Even if I go in to a meeting intending to keep it short, the teacher often goes over - fortunately, usually in their enthusiasm for their subject! You just end up ensuring that if there are two of you waiting to see the teacher, the one with the earlier appointment goes first. If you have more to say or ask, then don't worry (within reason!) about the time.
ginx

Post by ginx »

I agree, it's never just 5 minutes. We just listen and only ask a question if absolutely necessary. 5 minutes is not long enough.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

We had ours last week, I always seem to have more questions a few days later and have emailed them with great success :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Having three at GS, I am a master of nipping in when the teacher hasno-one sitting with them, and spending as long as I need (although as others have said, it is often the teachers who take no notice of the "speed dating" timings). The most interesting thing for me is to see the interaction between the student and teacher.
scary mum
browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl »

Many thanks everyone for your replies and ideas. Think the note taking idea is really useful (thinking about it there are so many subjects not sure I'll remember what they say if I don't). It's also early days for us so I'll be guided by what the teachers say & see what happens.

thanks again x
mystery

Post by mystery »

5 mins per subject is quite generous compared with primary where it's 10 mins the whole lot.