Advice needed on how to proceed BEFORE 1st March allocations

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RSN

Advice needed on how to proceed BEFORE 1st March allocations

Post by RSN »

I hope to have some guidance as to how to proceed.

Background: I reside in Redbridge, Essex.

I applied in time for the Redbridge selection test for my daughter, provided all requested proofs etc, then proceeded to wait for August when we would receive notice of where my daughter was to sit the exam and when.

Letters were due Mon 22nd Aug. I received nothing, then called the Admissions team at the council in case the letter was lost in the post. I was told our application had been withdrawn! There was no possibility of fitting my daughter into the current sitting as the centres were completely full (I was told). However, they would put her forward for the late sitting which would NOT disadvantage her in any way, and would be asap.

Accepting this, I gave up protesting and proceeded to wait for the late session letter.

It has still not arrived!

We have pursued this countless time, to be told the date has still not been set, but our daughter is on the list.

This seems fine, except the last time my husband called, he was told there was no guarantee the exam would be held before 1st March, and may be at Easter! Furthermore he was told they would offer the places out, then maybe give the late test, and consider places for children passing the late exam.

If this is so, it means my daughter has NO hope of getting into her first choice school, as she is obviously bottom of the list of candidates (with a score of NA). So all places will be offered on 1st March, and then there will be no space for my daughter even if she makes top 10, or if we win an appeal (based on correct process not being followed) as it would disadvantage the last student who made the cut, by being pushed out.

Now, my daughter sat, and passed the CSSE 11+ exams, achieving a high 245. I met another parent during the essex enquiry evenings, who's daughter achieved 248 at CSSE and ranked 77th in Redbridge exam (there are 120 places) which makes me feel my daughter has an excellent chance, if only she were to be tested.

I have written countless emails to the admissions officers, but their correspondence turnaround is hopeless, and I am yet to receive a reassuring response. I have asked if they will consider the CSSE result as comparable (as DoE guidance recommends) but have not received a response.

Please, can anyone suggest what my next step should be? As we are quickly running out of time, and I wish to convince the council to set the exam this coming half term break.

Thanks in anticipation.
Etienne

Re: Advice needed on how to proceed BEFORE 1st March allocat

Post by Etienne »

...... it would disadvantage the last student who made the cut, by being pushed out.
I think that's unlikely. If there are no vacancies, then a successful appeal would be additional to the admission number.

Clearly you'd rather not have to wait for an appeal. I suggest as a first step you try asking your local Redbridge councillor to intervene urgently on your behalf.
Etienne
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

RSN wrote:Now, my daughter sat, and passed the CSSE 11+ exams, achieving a high 245.
345, presumably? Sorry, slightly off-topic question. It must be a very stressful time for you. If your DD got 345 in the CSSE test, though, presumably you put a CSSE school on your form? The most important thing is to accept whatever school you are offered on March 1st, even if you are intending to appeal for somewhere else.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
RSN

Post by RSN »

Etienne wrote:
I suggest as a first step you try asking your local Redbridge councillor to intervene urgently on your behalf.
That's a good idea. How can I find out which councillor to approach? The redbridge site lists many.

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

On the Redbridge Council home page there is a box halfway down the front page on the RH side entitled "Your Councillors". If you enter your postcode it will tell you who your councillors are ...
RSN

Post by RSN »

ToadMum wrote: 345, presumably? Sorry, slightly off-topic question. It must be a very stressful time for you. If your DD got 345 in the CSSE test, though, presumably you put a CSSE school on your form? The most important thing is to accept whatever school you are offered on March 1st, even if you are intending to appeal for somewhere else.
You are right, sorry, 345* was her score.

Yes, she qualified for a place at a CSSE grammar school, but she would need to travel a considerable distance, closest being Chelmsford, and I have another child to consider, who is already settled into a great Primary School.

Got it, thanks. We will accept the allocated school. Do you have any advice on how to present an appeal if the late exam is not offered in time?
RSN

Post by RSN »

Sally-Anne wrote:On the Redbridge Council home page there is a box halfway down the front page on the RH side entitled "Your Councillors". If you enter your postcode it will tell you who your councillors are ...
Great, thanks.

Comes up with a list of 3, so I should email all 3?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, I suggest that you send a single email addressed to all three of them, and then they can decide who wants to take it on between them.
RSN

Post by RSN »

Hooray! The letter finally came. The late test is to be held on Wed 20th February.

I had been familiarising myself with the appeals process, in case the test wasn't set in time. I would like to ask how you would advise parents who HOME SCHOOL their child how to prepare evidence related to academic ability. As this is something that is not covered on this site.

Mainly concerned as the child would not have sat SAT tests, or really any other type of school test that has been marked professionally. NOr would be able to provide a head-teacher endorsement.

I await this advice anxiously.

Regards.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Where there is a similar lack of academic evidence (the most obvious examples being children coming from abroad, or a school that refuses point blank to co-operate with any 11+ selection procedure), we usually have little alternative but to suggest considering an ed. psych. report:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The issue of home schooling and appeals has been discussed before. For example:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... d+evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?p=59490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now