Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MAZER66

ICT or Graphic Communication

Post by MAZER66 »

Would really value your opinion !
a friend of mine has a son in yr 9 and they are condisering their options
the young man wants to be a computor scienctist.
his choices are the two english lan, lit, maths, ( he is in top set maths so will do the new further maths igsce) the three seperate sciences, geopraphy,spanish.( almost all will be igsec's)
the school will only start computing in 2014 at present his only option is ITC.
My question is this , considering the young mans ambitions would it be better to do ICT or Graphic Communication as his last option? which would provide the the best balance of subjects , for consideration for the competitive Uni's?
nb ITC will be a breeze for him, he probably an A* now, so would require little theoratical work for him!
so could spend more time on his weaker language based subjects
Last edited by MAZER66 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Re: ICT OR GRAPHIC COMMUNICATION

Post by Tinkers »

ICT is not well thought of, whereas computer science GCSE is. It is a shame he doesn't have that option.
Given he is doing a good selection of other GCSEs, it won't be an issue if he chooses ICT. Just I don't think it will help much with his future plans.

I know nothing about graphic communication GSCE so don't know whether that is well regarded or not.

The best bet might be to look at various uni courses and see if the are any subjects suggested, but I doubt any Computer science degree is going to ask for ICT.
MAZER66

Re: ICT OR GRAPHIC COMMUNICATION

Post by MAZER66 »

Tinkers wrote:I know nothing about graphic communication GSCE so don't know whether that is well regarded or not.
thanks , tobe honest neither do I
I think it's a half way house between art and ICT, MORE art based I think :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now