NVR for CEM

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
talea51

NVR for CEM

Post by talea51 »

How are you preparing your child for the NVR part of the CEM exam? I have started my dd on the Bond How to do NVR book and then I guess we will progress on to practice papers from Bond. I have had a look at the samples from Birmingham and Warwickshire but they seem incredibly easy. DD did them in no time flat.

So I really have no idea how to prepare her for the CEM.

It's going to be a tricky one!
Okanagan

Re: NVR for CEM

Post by Okanagan »

Don't be taken in by the samples. They are there to show you how it will be presented, not to give you an idea of how difficult the real thing will be. Basically do as many different formats as you can find, and don't get too hung up on practising one particular publisher/style. Think "expect the unexpected" and you won't go too far wrong.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

I still haven't really done much with dd on the NVR. She has a tutor and I think he is going to give her some NVR after half term. Makes me nervous but at the moment we are just hammering the maths and english. I really need to get some work done on this with her, maybe half term break when we are away :?

Doesn't help doing two different exams!
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Thanks Okanagan, I will try and practise as many different styles with her as I can.

Yes, Araucanagirl, it really doesn't help having two exams to prepare for and less than a year's notice that we need to prepare for 2 exams as well!
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

talea51 wrote:Thanks Okanagan, I will try and practise as many different styles with her as I can.

Yes, Araucanagirl, it really doesn't help having two exams to prepare for and less than a year's notice that we need to prepare for 2 exams as well!
My stress levels are getting higher and higher :shock: Starting NVR with the bond books this week, although 9-10 age first, wonder if that is too low to start at given that she will take it this year. Need to buy more books aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggh :roll:

Albert Einstein
talea51

Post by talea51 »

I know exactly what you mean Araucanagirl! Mine are too! I got my dd the "How to do NVR" book from Bond so we are starting with that this week and then we'll progress to the Bond NVR books. Aaaargh, it's just all so stressful!

I am trying very hard not to let my stress overflow onto dd though! I hope it's working!
:shock:
roses

Post by roses »

I finding it all very stressful, too much to do in too little time.
But DD seems to be a lot more relaxed than me.
She loves solving puzzles and told me she is finding NVR a bit of light relief from her more mundane 11plus practice!
Haven't started timing her yet for NVR, so DDs enjoyment may be less when the pressure is on. Lets hope she still enjoys it then!
I'm hoping that the maths and english that we're doing for the 11plus will be sufficient for the CEM papers. So asides from the NVR, and CEM practice papers, is there anything else we should be doing for the CEM exam??? Any advice will be very gratefully accepted.
moved

Post by moved »

Good vocab and common sense help.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

moved wrote:Good vocab and common sense help.
Glad I'm not doing the exam for dd then :lol:

Albert Einstein
moved

Post by moved »

Araucana girl wrote:
moved wrote:Good vocab and common sense help.
Glad I'm not doing the exam for dd then :lol:
:D