Children's Bedtime!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pumpkin Pie

Children's Bedtime!

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

There was an article on Daybreak this morning discussing 'Children's Bedtime'. A teacher in Brighton sent letters home to parents as she was concerned about the growing number of children being tired in the classroom, and urging parents to ensure their children went to bed at a reasonable time. Late nights were attributed to TV, XBox, PC, etc.

Do your children get enough sleep?

Do you find it hard getting them to go up to bed?
Reading Mum

Re: Children's Bedtime!

Post by Reading Mum »

My yr6 DD needs her sleep. I still send her up to get ready for bed at 7:30/7:45 but then she is allowed to read till maybe 8:15. She then dozes for a while, gets up for a last wee and is asleep well before 9 having had a nice wind down. She sleeps till 7am. I know lots of her classmates go to bed much later but she would be shattered. Fitting the homework in can be challenging though.
I think we will have to slip a bit later and build up her stamina over the summer holidays in prep for senior school.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Check out recommended bedtimes here!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1806,d.d2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My yr6 DD needs her sleep. I still send her up to get ready for bed at 7:30/7:45 but then she is allowed to read till maybe 8:15. She then dozes for a while, gets up for a last wee and is asleep well before 9 having had a nice wind down. She sleeps till 7am.
Almost identical here apart from the fact that sometimes she is still awake at 9pm.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Late nights here are blamed on books and noisy parents.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Same here. Dd2 in bed by 8pm, usually has a long bath/shower but has to have light turned off or reads till 10! Really suffers from sleep deprivation, especially from the dreaded sleepovers. I don't think she even enjoys them but would never admit that.

No computers/iPods/iPads in any bedrooms. Strict about that. Probably not strict enough about the rest of the day.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Year 6 DD goes to bed between 7 and 7:30, depending on how much she wants to read in bed. (Nearly the end of Harry Potter no 5 so she is keen to finish).
She gets up at 6:45 and gets grumpy if she doesn't sleep well. If she is especially tired we make her go to bed earlier rather than later.
She reckons most of the other kids to to bed later than she does. I point out that they get up later than she does too.

At weekends it gets stretched to 8ish.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I can't imagine my Y6 going to bed at 7! On average he usually sleeps about 10.15-7.45 (goes to bed a bit later a couple of nights a week when he's had evening sports training, but usually gets up a bit later at weekends). Which it turns out is spot on the 9.5 hours for an 11 year old on the link earlier in the thread.
copella

Post by copella »

Gosh 7 seems so early. My DS would have a fit if I suggested that to him. We like to have dinner together and usually eat at around 7ish, very rarely before then as we work. DS who is Y7 sits with us and watches the TV and we send him up at 8.30 for bed at 9 but he rarely gets to sleep before 10 as his elder brother who is 14 is still up and allowed to go to bed at 10. Both boys complain that all their friends go to bed later. I am not sure about that but lots seem to have access to phones. I hear the watsapp pinging on their phones at 2 or 3 in the morning on some occasions!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I guess its what they are used to. My DD has only started to 'get' the concept of a lie in over Christmas. Before that it did not matter what time she went to bed, she would still be up at 7am. If it had been a late night for an event she would be up at 7am and crabby :)
Now, if we let her stay downstairs till a bit later - she was very into Splash - she will sleep in till 7:30 and not get out of bed till 8am. A major step forward for weekends :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now