Bucks Selection Review unsuccessful

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
carolinens

Bucks Selection Review unsuccessful

Post by carolinens »

The Selection Review for our son was unsuccessful. We decided to go for the Selection Review as his recommendeation from the school was the highest possible. Now that has failed, and we still feel strongly that a grammar school is the right place for him, we are trying to find what options we have remaining. We have heard that some parents are making a legal challenge on the basis that the refusal to allow those who have already had a Review to then have a full appeal. Does anyone know anything about this?
TLC11

Re: Bucks Selection Review failure

Post by TLC11 »

Really sorry to hear about your son. If you feel very strongly and the academic evidence suggests he is best suited to a grammar school, then you could try speaking to his head teacher and see what they suggest you do. You could also contact Bucks CC - they may be able to shed some light on the appeal process.

The other thing to do is start preparing for the 12+.

I'm so sorry I haven't answered your question, but just wanted to let you know that all is not lost.

Good luck to you and your son :)
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

Is there any information on what form the 12+ will take next year? Or even if the timing is likely to be as this year?
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

I'm sorry I'm not sure - maybe one of the mods would know? Il have a look at Bucks CC website and see if there is any information on there.
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

I have just found from Bucks CC that from next year they will only handle 12+ tests for Royal Latin, Beaconsfield High and Burnham Grammar. All other grammars will handle them themselves, so one needs to contact the school direct.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Does that mean a child could end up taking a separate exam for each different school (apart from these 3)?
candy46

Post by candy46 »

Yes, I think you have to do an exam per school and hope they have place, that is the pain of it.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

But it does mean you get more than one chance - different exams will suit different types.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

carolinens wrote:The Selection Review for our son was unsuccessful. We decided to go for the Selection Review as his recommendeation from the school was the highest possible. Now that has failed, and we still feel strongly that a grammar school is the right place for him, we are trying to find what options we have remaining. We have heard that some parents are making a legal challenge on the basis that the refusal to allow those who have already had a Review to then have a full appeal. Does anyone know anything about this?
It's not exactly a 'refusal' - there is a process to go through, and that process is lawful.

The grammar schools have chosen to try and argue that there has already been a fair, consistent and objective review. They didn't have to do this, but they are legally entitled to, and so an appeal panel will first have to consider whether the review process was indeed fair, consistent and objective. Both the panel and parents will be able to question a representative of the admission authority. My guess is that there could be a lot of wrangling!

Your case for selection can be taken into account at an appeal, but only if the appeal panel decides that the review was not fair, consistent and objective. No one can anticipate what appeal panels will decide.

You are entitled to appeal for every grammar school listed on your CAF, and it will be perfectly possible (and lawful) for different appeal panels to come up with contradictory decisions!

For what it's worth, my advice is to prepare for an appeal, and see what happens.
To help prepare, see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

We have now received a copy of the clerk's notes of our son's Selection Review. The notes do not make any reference to predicted SATS levels, but instead note only the end of Y5 achievement in English (4A) and the current assessment of 4A in Science. They also note his reading age at 18 months ahead of actual age is 'not very high'. It is a predictably brief assessment and I wonder how easy it will be to argue that it was not fair etc.

However, the letter that informed us of the decision stated that on receipt of our school placement letter we would be able to take our case to appeal. Then the letter with the clerk's notes says 'I appreciate that this decision will have been disappointing to you and should you wish you may appeal, at the appropriate point to a preferred grammar school.' Neither letter makes any reference to the need to determine that the review was not fair consistent or objective before the question of non qualification will be considered. So now I am wondering whether we will have to fight the FCO issue or not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now