Tutoring Assessment

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Teallovely

Tutoring Assessment

Post by Teallovely »

Hello all, just a quick one. What do you think about a tutor who would want to assess my ds first before taking him on for extra lessons in preparation for the September 2013 bexley tests? He has said that if he feels my ds is not going to pass the exams he would not take him on. I am a bit apprehensive, though I am keen on getting him started with 1 to 1 tutoring. Opinions please.
Okanagan

Re: Tutoring Assessment

Post by Okanagan »

It's difficult to say from what you've reported, but it could be either:
1 - the tutor is behaving quite ethically and responsibly by not wanting to take money from you and raise your hopes unrealistically if there really isn't a reasonable chance of getting a pass at the end of it
or
2 - they are interested in their own "pass rate" figure, and thus only want to take on those who would probably have passed anyway, with or without the tutoring.

Only you can really tell from the context of the conversation which was likely to be the case.
Teallovely

Post by Teallovely »

Thanks Okanagan. Now that you have said it, I think he is more concerned about his pass rate. It's not necessarilty a bad thing, but I am concerned about my ds feeling rejected and let down if this tutor-which I hear is very good- does not take him on.
GetAhead

Post by GetAhead »

I usually assess pupils before I take them on but on the understanding that essentially I cannot get a wider picture of most pupils' abilities/potential to succeed (unless they are extremely bright) until they have been to a few lessons. I don't use the assessments to 'write anyone off' but as a basis to have a realistic conversation about parental expectations.

I so often get pupils who are in lower sets in Year 5 still with levels some children achieve at the end of KS1 and their parents think that if you are a good tutor you should have no problem getting them up to scratch for the 11 plus. In fact, this initial assessment stage is one of the most depressing aspects of being a tutor for me: they arrive with raised aspirations for their child and you don't want to let them down right at the beginning, but it is completely unfair to take their money and allow them to raise their hopes that it might turn out ok when you know that they will struggle with the work, never mind the exam itself.
Teallovely

Post by Teallovely »

Thanks for you input, Getahead. I know my ds needs a bit of a push in maths. As a parent, I would want to know right away if there is any point going ahead with registering him for the exam itself. He is really good in all other subjects- VR,NVR and English though.
Well...we'll see what this tutor says. I know we have a but of work ahead of us in the next few months.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

If your son is good in English then Maths is not that hard to bring up to speed. English is the harder subject to teach because it takes longer to get it to the 11+ standard than maths, NVR and VR. If he is reading at lot (more importantly - understanding and discussing what he is reading) it will go a long way.

It will all depend on how hard he wants to work and how much effort he is willing to put into it.

I assess my pupils as well so I can see how much work is required and to have an honest chat about pupil's and parent's expectations. Nothing is impossible in the 11+ if the child is motivated and willing to work so I never write a child off - attitude is the key to success, IMHO.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I think that it is really important for a tutor to assess your child when they start, they need to know where to start after all, and also to give you some honest feedback about their chances. Yes I guess there are some unscrupulous tutors who won't take on those with less than a cast iron chance, but many tutors do, provided their parents understand its no guarantee. The tutor my DC see is very low key/ low pressure, he told us after the first session what he thought about where they were and where he could get them to, and he continues to give me feedback after every session, more detailed advice about schools and books etc whenever we want (which isn't often) but it is part of what I consider I am paying for. He has skills and knowledge I don't have, I am paying for him to give me the benefit of that, IYSWIM.

p.s. sorry, no point pm-ing me for his number, he is retiring soon!
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

fairyelephant wrote:I think that it is really important for a tutor to assess your child when they start, they need to know where to start after all
Absolutely. I don't get the impression that it was the initial assessment which Teallovely was concerned about, as much as the "if he feels my ds is not going to pass the exams he would not take him on" condition which went with it.
Teallovely

Post by Teallovely »

Okanagan wrote:
fairyelephant wrote:I think that it is really important for a tutor to assess your child when they start, they need to know where to start after all
Absolutely. I don't get the impression that it was the initial assessment which Teallovely was concerned about, as much as the "if he feels my ds is not going to pass the exams he would not take him on" condition which went with it.

Yes Okanagan, that is what I am concerned about. I am now looking for other tutors around the area who can help if this particular tutor does not.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now