Interesting Evening re New 11+ in Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Booklady

Interesting Evening re New 11+ in Bucks

Post by Booklady »

Went to the school presentation regarding the new 11+ tonight at my DD's primary school. It was interesting - though I didn't learn too much more than I have here. One of the head teachers from a grammar school was there to answer any questions, of which there were plenty (despite the FAQ document).

They clarified that the test will relate to topics expected to be covered in the national curriculum Yr 5 syllabus - and will not extend into higher level topics, and that children would still be at the level expected to achieve level 5's in SATs in year 6 (as per current grammar school intake).

It certainly seems to have been well researched - though I still struggle a little with doing both tests on one day. One off day and thats it! Makes it even more important that kids are on A1 form when they go in that day!

Also - the test is only a few days after they start back in the autumn term - so keeping up to speed over the summer will become more important!

Anyone else have any nuggets from their presentations that they want to share?
Jules7

Re: Interesting Evening re New 11+ in Bucks

Post by Jules7 »

We had ours this week too. The Head went through a powerpoint and scripted narrative (we were not allowed to have a copy) which gave a couple of examples of each question type that may appear. As Booklady says above, there wasn't much more to learn that people on this website had not already found out!

One extra thing I hadn't pick up on was that they will do 2 x 30min practice papers a couple of days before the real thing. I asked whether these would be internally timed to which the answer was a yes. Not much you can do in a couple of days anyway so the only point I can see of the practice papers would be to get used to the testing procedure rather than the questions themselves.

I agree with Booklady re the one day testing and a few parents asked questions related to this and children having "off days". Maybe the expectation is that children suitable for GS should not have "off days"... However from the presentation I believe it is actually a cost-driven measure to have all the testing on one day - it is cheaper apparently.

Our Head said that the most important thing is to make sure your child reads widely (this was applicable to the old test of course as well). We may have more trouble here as although DD2 is good at maths she does not read as much as her sister did at primary school.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Booklady wrote:It certainly seems to have been well researched - though I still struggle a little with doing both tests on one day. One off day and thats it!
I too have strong concerns with both tests on the same day :shock:

If they wanted to avoid too much stress of having a week between tests, perhaps one on a Tuesday and one on a Thursday that same week would be better. Near enough to get the test over with and the marking completed in time; but allowing for that off day! Let's face it we all have off days and when we do ... might as well forget it! :roll:

The questions/answers sheet refers to the fact that children are used to sitting KS2 tests on the same day ... however those results will not affect the type of school that the child will be attending for the next 7-years the 11+ does!

After just going through the 11+ with my DC, 1st test just didn't feel prepared - an off day ... had the parent/child chat about it not mattering and that they had another chance. 2nd test went in confident and as a result couldn't have got a higher score!
Heartmum x x x
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Part of the issue here is that the two papers contain different topics. They are essentially one paper broken into two parts. The weighted scores are added together and standardised to give one final score. So even if your DC had an off day one paper one - it would still be a full part of the final score.

We are used to getting two shots with two separate papers - and this means you only get one go. It'll be really important to make sure they are on top form the day they do the test.

They do the in school familiarisation papers - 2x30mins - timed but not marked - 2 days before the actual exam. I guess thats like doing paper 1 - just not marked and no score. Its frustrating that we can't see these.
Y

Post by Y »

http://www.st-josephsprimary.bucks.sch. ... w-11-plus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've found this, but only here and on one other school website. Perhaps other people can find it on their schools' sites?

I was struck by this comment from Jules:
Jules7 wrote:We had ours this week too. The Head went through a powerpoint and scripted narrative (we were not allowed to have a copy)
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Thanks "Y".

Our primary school Head was quite emphatic that she was not allowed to give out copies or post it on the school website. Interesting inconsistency...
Y

Post by Y »

Jules7 wrote:Thanks "Y".

Our primary school Head was quite emphatic that she was not allowed to give out copies or post it on the school website. Interesting inconsistency...
What on earth can be the rationale for that? Googling the file name only found it on two school web sites. Perhaps those schools just didn't get the message!
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

Y wrote:
Jules7 wrote:Thanks "Y".

What on earth can be the rationale for that? Googling the file name only found it on two school web sites. Perhaps those schools just didn't get the message!
Seemed daft to me too! Agree that the few schools that have released the presentation have may be done so in error.

It was interesing that Booklady had a GS Head at their info evening. Why was this? Did you have the same experience with the scripted / non-releasable presentation (wondered if there was any difference as your DD goes to a non Bucks private school - although I guess it's a partner school)?
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Exactly the same presentation was delivered. Take a look at the notes pages anyone who prints it out - as there is more info there. I had my DD look at the demo questions this evening - she struggled with the maths a little - though got part 1 right eventually, did the NVR straight away, and also got the verbal qu's right - which was encouraging as she is only Y4. But the head did say the real thing would be harder!

The GS head was there to answer any questions, he is also about to become a Governor at the school, so I think has links going back some years. It was useful having him there - to answer queries 'straight from the horses mouth' so to speak! :D
SingleDad

Post by SingleDad »

Our Primary school said that the presentation would be made available on the website, but they just haven't got around to putting it on there yet.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now