Music Technology - A Level option

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SN

Music Technology - A Level option

Post by SN »

Can anyone tell me if Music Technology will be a recognized subject for As/A levels. This is an option my DS missed out at GCSE as we were worried about soft options. He would like to offer Maths, Economics and Further Maths/English along with it. I know the combinations looks a bit odd but this is something he really would love to do. Music Tech seems to be offered at very prestigious private schools and considering that I thought it might be quite a good subject. Any comments will be much appreciated.
Marylou

Re: Music Technology - A Level option

Post by Marylou »

By "recognized", do you mean for university entry?

It's not on the list of "facilitating subjects" recommended by the Russell Group http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/media/inf ... latest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...but English and Maths certainly are, and if he enjoys it then it could well add an extra dimension to his application if he studies it in addition to at least two of his other choices. It could also be useful if he is planning to work in the music industry, though sadly these jobs don't seem to be as numerous as the number of places on Music Tech degree courses would suggest.

I expect there'll be some more ideas along soon!
Marylou
SN

Post by SN »

Yes, what I meant was recognized by universities.

He missed out on music and music tech at GCSE as we heard from various sources that GCSE subjects are very important for university admission. But now I have read from various posts that it is not the case and feel so sad that he missed out on these. He chose Computing, Geography. French and Business Studies along with the other compulsory subjects. He is struggling with some of the subjects. I assumed that a humanity and a language were a must but many people say it's not. It's a very difficult situation
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

It is difficult isn't it...

'It's something he would really love to do...' Well, that probably answers your question. :D

You, and Marylou, are right though to double check facilitating subjects; I'm not sure most Y11 students fully appreciate a simple slip in subject choice at this stage can lead to disappointment in Y13 when applying to universities.
:D
qebmum

Post by qebmum »

Perhaps see if he can do music technology out of school - i.e via county music services? Not sure how demanding it is as an A Level but it was a 'twilight course' a couple of hours a week at my ds's school. Also consider if he's likely to drop this after AS as his other 3 chosen subjects are strong for his uni applications anyway.
SN

Post by SN »

This is my worry. In case he likes the subject too much and decides not to drop it and continues with it for his A levels. As I mentioned before many public schools are offering it so it may be not considered as a soft subject. Waiting for some comments from anyone who has experience with the subject for GCSE or beyond.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

DD's friend is doing it to A2 along with maths, FM and physics and has an offer to study sound engineering at university. I'm not sure which but I'm told it's best for her specific course (and it is not a RG uni).

Music Tech is a subject that many teenagers master without a formal qualification (finances permitting).

Is the dept. well funded? Do they employ someone solely for Music Tech or is it (just) a (normal) music teacher?
What does DS want to do at uni? Does music tech figure at all or be viewed as an asset?

If DS is looking to do a more traditional academic course then music tech would most likely be great as a third or fourth choice. But do bear in mind that if he later wishes to opt for a competitive uni / course that is very academic there will probably be many applicants offering 4 highly academic A levels which he needs to compete with.

Many uni courses require 2, sometimes 3, specific subjects as facilitating ones. These must be picked first. The 3rd / 4th may not really matter. Also think grades. Are 'A' grades going to be needed for DS possible later choices? What grades does the school get for music tech?

DD performs and records and has self taught. You'd be surprised at what can be done with an audio box and laptop by teenagers with no formal music tech teaching.

Does DS already do this sort of thing at home too? It's usually a good indication as to whether they are 'into it' really and may benefit (and enjoy) some formal teaching - ...or not?

Personally, I think it always a good idea to let DC'n do what they want. It's often a good indication of where their interests lie, particularly the vocational options. Sometimes I wonder if there is not too much emphasis on RG unis, academic subjects etc. and it distracts us as parents from helping our children make the right choices for them. Step outside the box SN, does your son love this subject or is it just 'a passing interest'? Is it something that can be satisfied with a some 'home equipment' for his next birthday present? What does he want out of it? As I said, most teens I know, are pretty hot on music tech without music tech A level. :D
SN

Post by SN »

Thank you to all who replied and for the information. DS wants to do Maths or Economics at Uni. He missed out on music and music tech for GCSE's as we were looking for humanities, FM etc as we were told that these are required. But now I find that it is not as important. Decided to do my research early as I don't want him to miss out on something he enjoys. His school has a highly equipped music tech dept. however, I don't know what the results are. Will have to find out all this in due course.
qebmum

Post by qebmum »

Hi SN. You've probably seen it already, but I noticed that Marylou has posted a very interesting article from The Guardian about facilitating subjects at A Level in this 6th form section which is relevant to your dilemma.