CEM Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

CEM Verbal Reasoning

Post by talea51 »

Does anyone have any ideas as to what types of VR there will be in the CEM question paper for CCHS? To date my dd has only done the 21 types that are in the CSSE exam but I am now thinking that we should do the other types as well as I don't know what types of questions there will be in the CEM.

Can anyone recommend any good books for VR? I have the Bond third papers in VR so she's starting on those but just wondering what else I should do with her.

I might ask on the Warwickshire forum what types of VR they use there?

Really starting to panic now.... :(
Okanagan

Re: CEM Verbal Reasoning

Post by Okanagan »

Verbal Reasoning according to CEM isn't what anyone else calls VR (it's more like English) so you can more or less forget about your 21 types.

Warwickshire papers typically include multiple-choice comprehension, cloze (can be choose which word from a selection, or fill in the missing letters style), antonyms, synonyms, jumbled sentences (spot which word doesn't fit - e.g. "continued days nonstop several against rain the for") or change 1/2 letters in a word to give a new word which they'll give a definition of eg stunted: dazed _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (stunned) or pony : refuse - - - - (deny).
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

talea51 wrote: Can anyone recommend any good books for VR? I have the Bond third papers in VR so she's starting on those but just wondering what else I should do with her.
Have you tried the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks books? I've found them excellent for the CSSE exams.

I really don't know what to suggest for the CEM exam....I'm puzzling over what to do myself..... but if my DDs are anything to by, then making sure they read the question correctly is very important... those simple, silly mistakes could make all the difference, those couple of marks will separate several girls.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Not Bright Sparks for CEM, as Okanagan said VR for CEM is really English. Concentrate on building vocab Freerice is good.
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now