Level Up Maths - Most Appropriate for KS2 Level 6 Child?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Turkey Lurkey

Level Up Maths - Most Appropriate for KS2 Level 6 Child?

Post by Turkey Lurkey »

Hello
My YR6 DD has been given a "Level Up Maths Level 6 - 8" book to work on (not the homework version). Is this the most appropriate one for a child working at Level 6 KS2 or should they be on the "Level Up Maths 5 - 7"? I've been led to believe that secondary L6 isn't the same as Primary L6, not sure if this is correct.
Guest55

Re: Level Up Maths - Most Appropriate for KS2 Level 6 Child?

Post by Guest55 »

No, it's certainly not appropriate!

The Primary school curriculum does not cover the whole of level 5 so a KS3 level 5 book is the place to start.

Why not ask for enrichment e.g. Primary Maths Challenge, UKMT junior Maths challenge, nrich problems rather than this!
mystery

Post by mystery »

If they've been given it by school, why not try it and see? They look quite good - the lower level ones certainly contain a good deal more "enrichment" than anything my school has ever done in school or sent home - I've not used them, just looked at them and wished that our school had some kind of decent books rather than the ****** worksheets they pull free off the web, design badly themselves, or photocopy from the most boring pages in "Target Maths".

If she is lost at the beginning of a topic in the level 6 book then it's wrong for her, if she likes it and understands it, what's the problem?

But if it's just been dished out to improve the school's level 6 results then working at the top end of the level 5 work in the 5-7 book is probably more suitable - but it is very hard to tell where one level ends and the next one starts - it's rather artificial.

There's far worse than Level Up G55!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes there is mystery but this book is pitched incorrectly. I do know the series although we don't use it.

I answered the question as a GS maths teacher; therefore I think I might have some idea about its suitability!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I don't doubt you know what you are talking about G55. But of course we don't know if the said child has worked her way through a maths programme which would make this book more than suitable for her, even if in general you feel this is inappropriate for all year 6 pupils (even Ruth Lawrence if she had been at school at the time!).

Have you looked at all the books in the series? I have a few of them (unused of course) and they all feel a little high for the NC levels they are pitched at, but then I have had primary teachers tell me they are just right.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've seen the 3 to 5, 4 to 6, 5 to 7 and 6 to 8; the levels are ok but sub levels a bit dubious as Maths doesn't work like that!

We did look at the 5 to 7 and 6 to 8 for KS3 but prefer others which I will not name as I don't want to identify where I work.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd was working at level 6 maths in yr 6 but ended up not doing the level 6 SATs paper- teacher decided she did not need the stress - although her teacher said in hindsight she could/should have done it. She was assessed as 6b in first term of yr7 and is happily working through level up 5-7 book at her GS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ok, so we now know your daughter does not go to guest 55 school. You also provide a good example of a secondary school where not sitting that extra test makes not one jot of difference. Did the year 6 teacher spare everyone "the stress?"
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Apparently 1 child did do the level 6 paper last year and passed - a first for the school apparently- this year there will be a few more doing it apparently - including DS but he seems happy enough with the idea. Given I am in the position of having to appeal for a chance for DS to get a GS place it does at least given me a bit more evidence.