School preference

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Oshosh

School preference

Post by Oshosh »

:D
Last edited by Oshosh on Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRM

Re: School preference

Post by JRM »

Which area are you in?

We are in Lincolnshire / North Lincolnshire and thier admissions policies are on an 'equal preference' basis. That means that you are treated the same for each school irrespective of which order you put them on your form. So if we don't get choice number one but qualify to choice number 2 we are put into their admission system in exactly the same way as if we had put it first. So, we just genuinely put which one we would most like to go to first and there is no disadvantage to putting a school second.

I do believe that some areas are different, and with more academy schools that act as their own admission authority there may also be differences. I would suggest looking at you local education authority admissions procedure or posting in the forum for the specific area that you live and there will be an expert along to help you very quickly. These things have been looked at inside out by people on here so if you try your area someone will be able to help you.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

JRM wrote:Which area are you in?

We are in Lincolnshire / North Lincolnshire and thier admissions policies are on an 'equal preference' basis. That means that you are treated the same for each school irrespective of which order you put them on your form. So if we don't get choice number one but qualify to choice number 2 we are put into their admission system in exactly the same way as if we had put it first. So, we just genuinely put which one we would most like to go to first and there is no disadvantage to putting a school second.

I do believe that some areas are different, and with more academy schools that act as their own admission authority there may also be differences. I would suggest looking at you local education authority admissions procedure or posting in the forum for the specific area that you live and there will be an expert along to help you very quickly. These things have been looked at inside out by people on here so if you try your area someone will be able to help you.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will look up on local authority websites, but what if the schools are in different area, and I will using the form from my area, which is different as well. Which criteria will apply?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The equal preference system will apply everywhere - it is a legal requirement. See here for more detail. So yes, just put them in the order you genuinely prefer. You should make sure though that somewhere on your form you put a school you are sure you'll get, as if you don't and then don't get a place at any of those you have listed, you would get a place at the nearest school which happens to have spare places.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Hi

I believe the "Equal Preference" system applies to all areas but please do check this.
Even though you are applying to 2 schools in 2 different counties you will submit your CAF to your local authority and they then forward it onto to the relevant authority if you meet the relevant criteria for those schools.

Good luck

Angie76 :D
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thank you very much for all replies. Much clearer and def. a bit more confident with the forum and the whole 11plus thing.

This is a very good website, and I am so glad to have found it. Ta.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now