NEW HALL SCHOOL CHELMSFORD- ANY ADVICE

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
charlie77

NEW HALL SCHOOL CHELMSFORD- ANY ADVICE

Post by charlie77 »

HI

My dd has been offered a place at Newhall school in Chelmsford and a very good Bursary for weekly boarder. We are waiting to hear what Grammar schools have been allocated on the 1st of March, either Westcliff girls or Wilmington girls in kent. Financially we could just about afford New hall, but we have two other little ones. I just wonderd if anyone has any experieance of Newhall. I just need some inspiration. We are out of area for all gramma :?: rs (in Thurrock) hence the reason for going for weekly boarding, and not so sure of the practicalities of her travelling to these schools
Mookiemum

Re: NEW HALL SCHOOL CHELMSFORD- ANY ADVICE

Post by Mookiemum »

Wilmington girls is quite far away! U will need to drive her there everyday? By dartford tunnel? :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, it's closer than Westcliff! A former neighbour of ours used to work in Wilmington, and we are very close indeed to WHSG :) Definitely worth investing in a DartTag, though.

If you are near a c2c station, WHSG isn't a very difficult journey, but there is a nice initially uphill walk at this end - this can be avoided by carrying on to Southend Central on the train and getting bus 21 or 29 to the school, but this does add another layer of complexity (and cost :shock: ). Hordes of WHSG / WHSB / St Thomas More DC get off the train at Chalkwell - note, not Westcliff - and the walk to school from the station doesn't seem to bother them.

I only know one person whose DS is at New Hall, but they seem happy with the school. There is even a school bus (I assume there isn't from Thurrock?), although the nearest pick-up point is rather more than walking distance away.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
charlie77

Post by charlie77 »

Thanks for the advice. Technically Wilmington is about 6 miles from our house, but it's the practicalities of going across the tunnel. I've found out there's bus by Amber coaches from Grays to Westcliff / Southend but when I rung them they said it is heavily over subscribed and there is a waiting list. Am quite anxious about her using the train at that age.
On a practical point the weekly boarding would be less disruptive for her. I guess we will see what happens on the 1st of March
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

My neighbours' children go to New Hall and are very happy with it. One family has been through the whole school with their three children and the other neighbour had their DD start in the 6th form. The latter was delighted with their decision and said their was no comparison with her previous schooling. Facilities are great, small classes and excellent results. Boarding weekly would help your DD as the commute from Thurrock would be a long one. Whsg is a fab school too... And free, but the commute will be expensive. Best of luck with your decision. Personally if I could afford it, I would go for NewHall.
charlie77

Post by charlie77 »

Thanks Blitz. I needed some inspiration. It's a never ending stressful process. Will let you know what we decide. At the moment Newhall seems top of list. For my DD, it has always been top of her list as well with Westcliff second.
thankgoditsover

Post by thankgoditsover »

Regarding the comments on train travel I was very nervous for my dd to travel on the train last September. Her comment to me only last week was she wished the train journey was longer because its so much fun. Not so much fun when she got off on the way home 2 weeks ago and left her pe kit to travel into fenchurch street :roll: