Mock examinations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gardengirl

Mock examinations

Post by gardengirl »

Currently preparing my ds for the 2013 exams. Can anyone recommend taking an independent mock exam and where I can find a list of people offering this service - Essex specific?
Thanks
mikedellfarm

Re: Mock examinations

Post by mikedellfarm »

We are using a Suffolk based tutor who runs a mock exam programme that fits in with our schedule. We found the company through this website and also researched other mock exams offered by tutors who are listed on this webiste.
gardengirl

Post by gardengirl »

Thanks for the tips - I will go through the tutors. I was hoping to find an Essex list of mock exams on here (saw posts for 2012) but they were just listed for Harrow North London. Thanks again though.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Have you heard of the "Sutton Grammar School mock exam"? Go to Sutton Grammar School's website and check it out. :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Also do a search on the thread Sutton Mocks and read all the info that has been posted on it. I am a big fan. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Daogroupie wrote:Also do a search on the thread Sutton Mocks and read all the info that has been posted on it. I am a big fan. DG

As far as mocks for CSSE exams go, I hope you guys don't mind me asking the format, weighting and timings of the Sutton mocks? I've been on the website and can't pick up any relevant information.
I know aang and I have expressed some concerns on here, over the effectiveness of generic mocks for CSSE candidates, especially if there's multiple choice format throughout and a composition/written element. Thought I ought to mention it again. :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The format may not be the same but the experience is not to be missed. If you go onto the website of Sutton School for Boys and look at the PTA section it should all be detailed on there. DG
bravado

Post by bravado »

Daogroupie wrote:The format may not be the same but the experience is not to be missed. If you go onto the website of Sutton School for Boys and look at the PTA section it should all be detailed on there. DG
So sorry DG but I may be being very dense but I can't see anything on the website at all about the format, timings and weighting etc and both DH and I have searched every relevant bit, including the FAQ's and the blurb on the application form.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to tell us the information regarding format etc, if forum rules allow it?

Sometimes mocks that aren't totally similar can have a (limited) use regarding general exam technique and it's certainly true that some people do need to know, and indeed value finding out where they sit within a group of people sitting an exam. But I agree with one of your earlier statements on the Essex board (as below) that mocks should be as close as possible to the real thing.
Daogroupie wrote: The very best mocks you can do are mocks that are exact copies of the exams that you are going to be taking. To have a trial run of the exam that you need to do well in in order to secure your first rank school can only be a good thing. DG.
We wouldn't have put DD in for a mock where the answer format was completely different to the the CSSE exams and the English is quite different to other 11+ English tests, as you know. Quite a gamble, especially if they belly-flop - how do you repair damaged confidence and convince them that it's okay because it's not really like the real exam they'll be sitting? We all know that the 11+ is a gamble full-stop but we weren't prepared to shorten the odds of a confidence knock. :wink:
No-one knows what a CSSE VR paper looks like as they're never released. However, we're all different and for those taking multiple 11+ or 10+ or indie exams, it's a case of "vive la difference" and so different formats can be a welcome option.

Most importantly Sutton mocks aren't relevant to the Essex bods who are only taking the CEM CCHS exam I thought I ought to mention that before people rush off and pay for Sutton mocks - I hope nobody minds me stressing this point? :wink:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I think it probably depends on what you are wanting to achieve with the mock exam.

If you want them to experience the timing (and tiredness) that comes with doing all three CSSE papers you can do this at home with an unseen set of past papers.
If you want them to experience the "nerves" and generally what it feels like to sit in an exam hall with other children then this can often be achieved for free depending on your other choices of schools. We applied for a local school that selects a percentage of students on the basis of a NVR paper - yes useless as practice for CSSE but the exam hall routine experience was gained and as the exam was the week before the CSSE one, it nicely got the worst of their nerves over and they went to the CSSE exam the following week much calmer.

If you want an exam conditioned true CSSE style mock with an idea of how well your DC has done compared to others then you will have to approach one of the tutors/ companies offering this service. I can't recommend one though as I did not go down this route.
purplegirl

Post by purplegirl »

Minesatea wrote:I think it probably depends on what you are wanting to achieve with the mock exam.

If you want them to experience the timing (and tiredness) that comes with doing all three CSSE papers you can do this at home with an unseen set of past papers.
As Minesatea says, it depends what you're trying to achieve.....
I am on a budget with limited resources, so the services offering mock exams seemed expensive. I already knew my DDs strengths and weaknesses. However, when I attended the school open days people outside the school were handing out leaflets for various tutors offering mocks, seen similar services advertised in the local press, read about people using these services on this website.... and I must admit I felt under pressure and was tempted to go down that path, just to get a bit of exam experience.
In the end I did what someone else on this website suggested (can't remember who, but I am very grateful for the tip); they suggested doing a set of unseen papers in the public library! My DDs were then in an unfamiliar setting: reasonably quiet atmosphere but with occasional noise and disruptions, it took them out of their comfort zone! Its a cheap but very effective method.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now