1st March - timing/what do Heads know/waiting lists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cricket

1st March - timing/what do Heads know/waiting lists?

Post by Cricket »

What time do allocation emails come out? It says 6pm but someone told me it depends on where you come in the alphabet? Will it be later, if so how late?

Also, is it true that headmistress is told allocations before (or worse, gossiping office staff!) - if so, why? what are they supposed to do?

Also, if get a lower ranking school, do you ring up higher ranked schools on the Monday to find out where your child is on waiting list or do they advise you of this? Is it better to email or phone?

No idea what DC will get so want to know what options are.

Thanks
daisyduke

Re: 1st March - timing/what do Heads know/waiting lists?

Post by daisyduke »

Hi Cricket - I've just checked the email I received last year (DS and DD only 1 yr apart so doing it all again :roll: ) and it was sent at 17.44, and our surname begins with J.

I don't know if heads or schools hear earlier - as with you, I can't see why they need to, ours doesn't seem to care one way or the other! I'm sure other people will be along soon to add their thoughts to that.

If you get a lower ranked school, then the other schools will write to you, stating their Continuing Interest List policy. Each is slightly different, eg last year for Watford Girls & Cl Danes, you had to fill in a form, but Ricky kept you on automatically. Of course that might have changed, (& you may be looking at other schools!). The letters were of varying degrees of helpfulness, eg Cl Danes and Ricky said exactly what position you were in for both distance and academic.

Personally I'd say there's no point in phoning in the early days, as they go straight to answerphone as they're inundated with calls. I don't know anyone who managed to get through. Anyway, the CI list is very organised, so there's no real point in trying to talk to the poor harassed admissions clerks...

From 8pm on March 1st you can access the online system again, but last year it was only useful in terms of real details from 10am the next morning. The 1st Continuing Interest places were available on March 22nd, again in the evening.

It's a confusing time but I'm sure the forum will be a lively place!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes; heads and/or authorized staff will be able to look at the admissions file as these will be uploaded by 22nd Feb. This is done for final checking if any names are missing.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 03#p363303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

This is always the case; I think it is absolutely right that Heads know in advance. Office staff do not 'gossip' as you suggest. Why would they? And to whom? It is the same with external GCSE and A Level exams. Heads and exam officers know a day in advance in order to facilitate administration etc. All other staff will not know before parents.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Surely, our HT and possibly one or two more teachers know about the allocations in advance; but from their expressionless faces, I wonder if one can make out any thing.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
mum1969

Post by mum1969 »

On allocation day last year I was helping at my DDs' primary school and I had a lengthy discussion with the headteacher about the various secondary schools and options. Only recently did she admit to me she already knew the allocations in advance, I was completely unaware she knew - she gave no indication whatsoever.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

tiffinboys wrote:Surely, our HT and possibly one or two more teachers know about the allocations in advance; but from their expressionless faces, I wonder if one can make out any thing.
No. Teachers are not permitted to know. This is strictly for Senior Management Team or the equivalent. Again, the same rules apply for external GCSE and A Level exams. They won't give anything away as things have to remain confidential for that extra day. It makes no difference anyway so look forward to the letter/ email arriving on results day!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Our Head & Dy. Head would probably be in hiding from tomorrow, least they give a special smile, pat or wink to the children going to grammars. :lol:
I know they don't give any support for 11+ exam; but a good number going to Tiffins and other grammars certainly make them proud of their year 6 students.