"Mortified"

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

"Mortified"

Post by Daogroupie »

What do people think of the use of the word "mortified" from Oscar about shooting his girlfriend. I think it is a really odd word to use. It means ashamed or embarassed. Surely you would want to use a much stronger word such as "devastated" or "consumed with remorse" or "engulfed in despair". Mortified is a word I would use about doing something silly like forgetting my purse, not killing someone. Perhaps it has a different meaning in South Africa? DG
Hera

Re: "Mortified"

Post by Hera »

Doesn't it come from the Latin word to cause death? Although I would be surprised if that was what he was thinking when he used it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

The media coverage of this case is getting right up my nose. The Times headlined with 'The Anguish of Oscar' and an elucidation of how every time the word 'murder' was mentioned he put his head in his hands...overlooking both the possibly more acute anguish of Ms Steenkamp's family and the fact that for whatever reason he had blasted her with a shotgun four times. I only hope that the reclassification of perpetrator to victim on the basis that the man is a popular Paralympic athlete will not lead to a perversion of justice. :evil:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mortified was bugging me too. The whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus...
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mortified is a reasonable term - may also mean slightly different things in SA "English" - they were struggling with this anyway as comments were made about the prosecuting detective's level of English (before he was accused of attempted murder himself) - after all this is a country with 11 official languages.

Whole thing is an insight into a different legal system - no jury and open early debates about bail ... in the UK the police would have stated that bail was not appropriate and that would have been that.

Nike beware - choose your athletes more carefully :roll:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Amber wrote:The media coverage of this case is getting right up my nose. The Times headlined with 'The Anguish of Oscar' and an elucidation of how every time the word 'murder' was mentioned he put his head in his hands...overlooking both the possibly more acute anguish of Ms Steenkamp's family and the fact that for whatever reason he had blasted her with a shotgun four times. I only hope that the reclassification of perpetrator to victim on the basis that the man is a popular Paralympic athlete will not lead to a perversion of justice. :evil:
I completely agree, Amber!
rubidium

Post by rubidium »

It's difficult to make a reasoned opinion without knowing all the facts of the case. Innocent till proven guilty?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

rubidium wrote:It's difficult to make a reasoned opinion without knowing all the facts of the case. Innocent till proven guilty?
my thoughts exactly...I wonder how this would have been reported if it hadn't been "him"
I feel so sorry for both families, the celebrity culture has masked the severity of the facts
Amber

Post by Amber »

yoyo123 wrote:my thoughts exactly...I wonder how this would have been reported if it hadn't been "him"
It probably wouldn't have been.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

hermanmunster wrote:Whole thing is an insight into a different legal system - no jury and open early debates about bail ... in the UK the police would have stated that bail was not appropriate and that would have been that.
We have been saying the same thing Herman. Completely different system form here.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now