Answer Sheets - Mark Making

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SunlampVexesEel

Answer Sheets - Mark Making

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

This might sound trivial but...

With an HB pencil it is difficult to make a clear mark on the answer sheet.

What is the recommended technique...

Line

Blob

Scribble?

Thanks
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
nif229

Post by nif229 »

Hi

I think it must just be a definate line. A computer is used to read the papers, so as long as the answer is in the correct box it'll be fine.

nif229

Post by Guest »

we practised this last year - it's amazing how tricky it is when you are working fast to make a clear line in the boxes.

We just practise speed marking. I called out the 'answer' and child marks on sheet. at the end, the lines were clear, usually one stroke. helps if pencil is not too sharp.
SunlampVexesEel

Anonymous wrote:helps if pencil is not too sharp.
I'm thinking of trying with a non-HB pencil....
Animis opibusque parati

Post by Guest »

My child's exam board specified HB pencils to be used for MCQ sheet.

Just sharpen pencil normally,then write with it to 'flatten' it slightly. HB is also easier to rub out somehow if you want to change answers. we also practised that, would you believe it?
SunlampVexesEel

Anonymous wrote:We also practised that, would you believe it?
I do believe that... and we need to do some practice!
Animis opibusque parati

Post by Guest »

HB pencils
Forgot to add, they specified 2 pencils but I prepared 5 spares in the way described above so no time wasted if pencil broke during exams. HB writes ammother and is only a problem if pencil is too sharp.

It's only a small thing but can slow down or panic child if have to sharpen pencil in the middle of the tests.

WritingtTables have been known to collapse during exams and candidates have to carry on whilst the invigilators fix the table. Not very good when you have a time limit to do your test. :cry:

Post by Guest »

HB writes ammother and is only a problem if pencil is too sharp.
Sorry, SMOOTHER!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

It's just one smooth straight line. No colouring in. No going backwards and forwards over the same line.

I explain to my students that each time they go back over their line they are wasting 1 SECOND 80 questions that's 1 MINUTE 20 SECONDS

In that time they could have answered half a dozen easy questions!

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We had a BIG debate about this last year - it is best to send your child in with HB pencil - the 'dumb' machines read the marks on the paper so they need to be clear and unambiguous.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now