Qualifying score for KES Stratford?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cheerios

Qualifying score for KES Stratford?

Post by Cheerios »

Any thoughts on the AQS for KES? Specifically, does anyone thing the increased places at AGS will move the score for KES upwards or will it stay around the same.

Just wondering . . . and wishing this week away . . .
serendippyty

Re: Qualifying score for KES Stratford?

Post by serendippyty »

I don't think there will be much change in the KES qualifying score from years before.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Increased places at AGS isn't likely to make a lot of difference to KES scores as the AGS qualifying scores for recent years were already usually lower than that for KES.

KE Vi Stratford: 2012 entry - 338, 2011 - 335, 2010 - 327, 2009 - 329
Alcester Grammar: 2012 entry - 327, 2011 - 329, 2010 - 329, 2009 - 325

Expect the KES score to be maybe 1 or 2 marks less than the average of the last few years, due to them having 81 places to offer instead of 75, and there being less candidates this year/it being a lower birthrate year. But as you can see from the 2009-2012 data there is always some variation from year to year anyway.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

There will also be a small number who sat both Warks and Bham exam and have Bham as first choice.

My DS had a score of 360 and as 49th ranking he would get KES, however his first choice is KEFW bham, he has scored 12 over QS so should get that. His cousin also did well in both and he too has chosen a Bham school.

So straight away that is 2 out of the equation, so you can expect there will be others in the same position. Whether it will have much of an impact, I don't know.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

nervousmom wrote:you can expect there will be others in the same position. Whether it will have much of an impact, I don't know.
Statistically, there will be some in this situation every year. So it's unlikely to really make a difference.
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

I was surprised how low the waiting list places have been in the past few years, I wonder how many get in off the waiting list?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

serendippyty wrote:I was surprised how low the waiting list places have been in the past few years, I wonder how many get in off the waiting list?
I don't have a lot of data on this, but I found this in a 2011 report to the Warwickshire Schools Admission Forum, after places from the initial round of offers had been accepted/rejected.

As at 21st March 2011:
"There are some vacancies at Grammar Schools, King Edward VI has five places to offer as does Stratford Girls Grammar. It was stated that a large number of children who have refused places have gone to the Independent sector." (For 2011 both schools had a PAN of 75)
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

serendippyty wrote:I was surprised how low the waiting list places have been in the past few years
I heard that KES always took a lot off the waiting list because the de facto PAN has always been 81, but in the past grammar schools were not really allowed to expand and in particular the local non-selective schools contested any expansion, so KES maintained an official PAN of 75 but topped up from the waiting list. Just a story I heard - may be apocryphal.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

The "extra" places may in the past have been taken up by appeals rather than the waiting list per se. More 2011 information:

As 15th June 2011:
"Lawrence Sheriff Offers at 94, appeals heard 50 successful appeals 22 Currents offers stand at 116
King Edwards Offers at 75, appeals heard 35 successful 8 current offers stand at 83"

Of course with the official PAN at 81 this year, there may be less spare capacity for appeals, so things may be different.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

It is true that KES always had 81 places, although until this year, it was officially 75.

The headmaster told us this at an open evening 2 years ago, he basically said 75 places a offered, but if you are on the waiting list call them immediately as the are extra places!