CEM past papers - Durham University

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hobbit

CEM past papers - Durham University

Post by hobbit »

From FAQ “34. How will you prevent leaks of information about the tests?
A number of steps are being taken. CEM will not publish any practice material for purchase by
parents. The preparation tests will not be sent home and will be collected and destroyed. The
real test materials will, as with other psychometric tests, remain confidential.”

“CEM will not publish any practice material for purchase by parents”
This does not mean “by anybody”………………..

CEM will not release any sample papers for access by ‘general public’. However these or similar tests will be made available for School Heads, particularly for Independent Schools, (as has been the case for the previous GL Assessment NFER tests). So any parent who can afford private education will be given practice in similar CEM tests released by Durham University, such as CEM Entrance Assessments, CEM Primary, CEM Secondary, CEM International, Mid YIS etc.

How can this be an equal playing field?

With the consultation coming to an end on 1st March, parents should raise their concerns.
Jpk

Re: CEM past papers - Durham University

Post by Jpk »

hobbit wrote:From FAQ “34. How will you prevent leaks of information about the tests?
A number of steps are being taken. CEM will not publish any practice material for purchase by
parents. The preparation tests will not be sent home and will be collected and destroyed. The
real test materials will, as with other psychometric tests, remain confidential.”

“CEM will not publish any practice material for purchase by parents”
This does not mean “by anybody”………………..

CEM will not release any sample papers for access by ‘general public’. However these or similar tests will be made available for School Heads, particularly for Independent Schools, (as has been the case for the previous GL Assessment NFER tests). So any parent who can afford private education will be given practice in similar CEM tests released by Durham University, such as CEM Entrance Assessments, CEM Primary, CEM Secondary, CEM International, Mid YIS etc.

How can this be an equal playing field?

With the consultation coming to an end on 1st March, parents should raise their concerns.

It is simply not true that independent schools prepare children for 11plus exams as a matter of course. I have friends at independent schools who have said that, if anything, he lack of sats and focus on common entrance, together with teachers who are not subject to league table pressures means they have no more chance than anyone else. Besides, what is unfair about parents deciding to spend money on education rather than cars, holidays, bathrooms etc.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

It's not true that all private schools prepare the kids for the 11+. They do more than state schools but that is still not enough. All the children in my son's prep school who were sitting selective school exams were being either tutored or parents were DIYing. They had not even finished the maths syllabus till after the exam.

The kids in the top group were then super-streamed depending on their chances of success and given practise papers but even they had not finished the maths syllabus on time. My son was part of the 'super-stream' and when parents complained about the lack of adequate preparation for the exams, we were told it was the job of the tutors of make sure our children were ready.

The children sitting the exams and their parents did all the work and the school took the credit by posting their success rates on their website!
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

I was under the strong impression that no-one would have access to the style / content before the tests, including HTs, either independent or state. If it is the case that they are given some advance information, then that is something which should definitely be questioned as there will always be some HTs, either private or state, who will be more in favour of testing than others.
mystery

Post by mystery »

There will always be people who invigilators and tutor who obtain copies of the real thing. It happens currently in Kent. Changing from gl to cem will not prevent this.
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

leanmeamum and jpk - sorry I should have been clearer - of course not every single independent school prepare for entrance exams. However there are those that do - and some do prepare heavily especially those that only go up to year 6.

My comment was not 're how they prepare' but the fact they will have access to practice material not available to general public.

Lillie
Lillie wrote:I was under the strong impression that no-one would have access to the style / content before the tests, including HTs, either independent or state. If it is the case that they are given some advance information, then that is something which should definitely be questioned as there will always be some HTs, either private or state, who will be more in favour of testing than others.
I think this may not be the case - hence my reason to raise my concerns??
hobbit

Post by hobbit »

mystery wrote:There will always be people who invigilators and tutor who obtain copies of the real thing. It happens currently in Kent. Changing from gl to cem will not prevent this.
Yes perhaps, though any such flaws in the system should be tightened as the process is changing!! A lot of this could be eliminated if no testing was allowed at partner schools OR better still - there should be no partner schools and all testing should be done centrally.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, the tutor I am thinking of is at an independent primary at which the 11plus can be taken.

However, I am not sure there is any evidence that this is a "partner school" thing, or that a new provider can eliminate this. After all, it's mostly a matter of integrity. Additionally, it is very hard once you have read some question to eliminate them from your mind and your teaching, so it is always going to be an advantage having a tutor who has read the questions.

This could still happen even where the 11plus is administered in huge exam halls with fewer invigilators. Invigilators would have to employed on the basis that they weren't teachers or tutors in any shape or form! But then you'll get parents wanting to invigilate a few years ahead of their child sitting.

You can't stop it happening! It's over-optimistic to think that you can.

This is why in the world of Ed Psych testing the tests are done one to one, and the materials are "closed" - they are only on sale to people with particular qualifications and memberships. It is an expensive route.

CEM, GL assessment, any other test provider cannot provide this kind of completely "closed world" for 11plus testing in a large authority.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

mystery wrote:CEM, GL assessment, any other test provider cannot provide this kind of completely "closed world" for 11plus testing in a large authority.
Up to now CEM tests in Birmingham, Warwickshire, etc have always been done in a relatively small number of test centres. Testing in lot more venues, if Bucks are going to test in all their primaries, is going to pose some different challenges in terms of keeping sight of all the papers all the time.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, but even if it's done in a small number of large test centre, with a smaller number of specially employed invigilators, it's still pretty impossible to prevent descriptions of the content and standard, at the very least, escaping. One would have to get all staff and candidates to sign the Official Secrets Act - and since when did that work 100%?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now