Advice for an American child?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Starbuck

Advice for an American child?

Post by Starbuck »

I'm wondering if you have any advice for preparing an American child that will be moving to the UK this summer. We are moving to the Gloucestershire area (Cheltenham) so, as I understand it, needs to prep for the verbal reasoning test. (For the fall of this year.) We've just begun to study and so far have been using the materials provided on the school website. I know I need to purchase study materials and I want to make sure that I choose the right ones. I know there are lists on this website which are helpful, but if you think there is anything in particular I should choose (or avoid) given the different educational background that would be helpful. This is obviously a child who is less familiar with British English so this is a big focus. He is an avid reader so if there are British children's novels anyone can recommend that would also help. I've also been trying to find and introduce some British television shows as the language differences seem to appear most dramatically there. We recently came across a question where the answer was "dinner ladies" which we had to Google to figure out what it was. A couple days later we watched a Dr. Who episode where Rose was complaining of having to act the part of a dinner lady. So yes, it now seems we are using Dr. Who as a study aid. Probably need some better materials. LOL.
Y

Re: Advice for an American child?

Post by Y »

I see you haven't had any replies. Perhaps you should post in the Gloucestershire forum (down the bottom, under 11 Plus Regions).
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

for things British you could try TV shows like Miss Marple - you get the old fashioned view point and lots of period details.
Can you get BBC iPlayer?
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

Thanks for the tips. I will try reposting in the Gloucestershire forum.

Unfortunately, regarding most BBC programming, unless it is available through Netflix or Amazon (where I usually have to pay) it doesn't appear I have access to it. I cannot get TV programming through BBC iplayer. Though, thanks for the idea. I did try it (and was denied).
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Try youtube and search for "Miss Marple" - I think you'll find them there.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

That link is for You_Tube - the name is banned to prevent unpleasant links being posted.
Pratibha

Post by Pratibha »

Hi there u can try Roald dhal books..like Charlie and the chocolate factory,fantastic mr fox,they r quite good.Enid blyton her books r like famous five,the secret seven she has lots of series of books u can find them easily on amazon.. :D