Shift in attitude - tutoring

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
West Kent Mum

Shift in attitude - tutoring

Post by West Kent Mum »

I have followed the discussions on this excellent forum for some 3 years. Back then there were a lot of threads, discussions and opinions about tutoring: pay tutor, DIY, do no preparation at all were frequent topics under discussion. The feelings were sometimes running high with people arguing their point in different ways. Very interesting and valuable for an 11+ new-comer to follow and listen in to.

I have noticed that over the last year or so, these topics have more or less disappeared completely. I can only guess that the controversy surrounding tutoring is now gone (at least among the forum members). I don't want to question this attitude, I just find it very interesting how fast the general opinion among us parents can change.
scary mum

Re: Shift in attitude - tutoring

Post by scary mum »

I think it still pops up every now and then, WKM, I remember a fairly heated thread a few months ago, but yes, maybe people on here just accept that it goes on. With the changes in Bucks & Gloucestershire (and Kent?),it is likely to rumble on as more "tutor proof" tests are introduced.
scary mum
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

I think is always very much going to be a controversial subject. I also think the 'Tonight' programme highlighting tutoring that was on a little while ago, has heightened the debate. Maybe we're all fed up of talking about it :lol:
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

Yes, that is true! And I only read the Kent forum and a few others, so don't really know how the discussion goes in other regions.

I recall that tutoring was kept very quiet among the parents at my DCs school 2 years ago, with very few parents admitting they had an +11 tutor, while now everyone in DS2 class is openly say they have a tutor and none thinks anything of it.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmmm not sure - there's a few in here who are quick to jump in with advice to play scrabble, bake a cake, or go for a walk and not touch anything remotely more formal.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Mmmm not sure - there's a few in here who are quick to jump in with advice to play scrabble, bake a cake, or go for a walk and not touch anything remotely more formal.
Thanks mystery.
mystery

Post by mystery »

You are not a few Amber! :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Interesting. I suspect there are still plenty of people on both sides of the debate, but the 'few' have largely left the forum or given up posting on the subject. This forum is pretty pro tutoring of some sort because to a degree its visitors are largely self selecting. I am sure out in the real world there are still parents who don't do half of what seems to be the norm on here at times at least I really hope so! :D
mad?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

mystery wrote:Mmmm not sure - there's a few in here who are quick to jump in with advice to play scrabble...
Yes, I've said that in the past, and I still stand by it. Oh, and word searches too! :lol:
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

mad? wrote: I am sure out in the real world there are still parents who don't do half of what seems to be the norm on here at times at least I really hope so! :D

What seems to be the norm? :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now