CAT test advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest1000

CAT test advice

Post by guest1000 »

other than that provided by the NFER-Nelson website are there any example papers/advice available regarding the CAT (cognitive abilities test) which child is due to undertake in Year 5.

I telephoned NFER today to see if examples of the CAT test could be purchased but was informed it's only available to teaching staff ie not the general public.

I understand that the test comprises 3 principal areas of reasoning: verbal, non verbal and numerical as well as an element of spatial ability. The VR and non VR can be bought from this site or WH Smiths etc but where do you find the other 2 ? :)
thanks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are not meant to practise - it is used to set targets and bears little relation to 11+
katel

Post by katel »

It's not a good idea to practice CATS - the idea is that children will do then 'cold' and the test will give an accurate assessment of ability.
Katie

CATS Tests

Post by Katie »

Unless you find yopurself at an appeal hearing sitting next to your child's head teacher and the appeal panel are asking her what your child's CATS scores were!

Then it matters a great deal. I know that the panel aren't supposed to be making up their own mind about your child's ability - but this is what happened to us.

We didn't have a tutor for any of our children - but realise now that almost everybody does - some times for two years. Wish I had had a tutor now!

Good luck

Katie
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CATs don't link to 11+ so they should not be relevant at appeal.
Katie

Practice papers

Post by Katie »

Before you purchase books of practice papers - check with the LEA / Foundation School exactly what papers will be used.
Some examination boards use VR , some use non-VR, some use both. One school near to us also has a "puzzle paper" which they say is to test problem solving skills, and they don't recommend any book to enable you to practice in advance! It's a minefield.

After discussing my son's CATs and SATs results at considerable length, the clerk at our appeal hearing had the cheek to tell us that SATs were absolutely irrelevant - and then went on to tell an outright lie to the Ombudsman about what the Head Teacher had said to the panel. Sometimes you just despair!

Good luck with your search, and as the others have said - don't worry about CATs. You would have to be very unfortunate to find yourself before an appeal panel like the one we just had.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Guest55 wrote:You are not meant to practise - it is used to set targets and bears little relation to 11+
We have decided specifically not to give DS any practice... which is a challenge because he wants to join in on elder DD's 11+ practice.

I'm interested in the CATs result to give an unbiased view on ability so I can work out how much 11+ torture he will require compared to DD.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Jacqui

CAT tests results in year 5

Post by Jacqui »

Hi I wonder if anyone can give me some advice regarding CAT test results in year 5. My niece is a bright spark, her reading is well above average and she can spell as well, if not better, than any adult. However when my brother and sister in law went to her open evening last night they were told that as she was only borderline they shouldn't be thinking of entering her for the 11 plus. She started private tuition lessons in July and her tutor was gobsmacked as my brother and his wife when they heard this. Surely the teacher cannot tell in year 5, how well a child will perform when the 11+ is more than a year away.

My poor little niece sobbed when she got home last night :cry: and because she is an only child, my brother hasn't had any experience with tests and I would like to put his mind at rest. I Would really appreciate your views.
Jacqui

CAT test results in year 5

Post by Jacqui »

Sorry, I forgot to list the CAT scores

113 , 113, 112
katel

Post by katel »

Jacqui - apart from anything else, I am horrified that the school said anything that in front of your neice - how demoralizing for her! I'm afraid I don't know how the CATS scores relate to the actual 11+, but it seems strange thatthe school would make such a firm judgement so far in advance. It sounds as if they need to have a proper sit down talk with the teacher.and find out exactly what hte school's concerns are. Sorry I can't be more help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now