Parmiters - 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ARK

Parmiters - 2008

Post by ARK »

We'd like our daughter to go to Parmiters in 2008, but live outside the catchment area. The school says that due to new regulations brought out by the government, she will not be allowed in.
Does anyone know if there is a way we can lobby for her to attend the school? Academically, she is very able.
Thanks
solimum

parmiters

Post by solimum »

Having looked at the admission arrangements on their website

http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/welco ... sions.html

it seems a very complicated mixture of proximity, siblings and musical/academic ability within specified postcodes. It looks as if the only guaranteed way would be for one parent to have an affair with the parent of a current pupil and move in with your daughter thus creating an instant sibling.... (sorry, only joking!) Seriously, if it doesn't seem like you have a realistic chance of success, there is no way to "lobby" if the school is already going to be filled with pupils who do fit the criteria more closely. There must surely be other schools within reach that have a reasonable number of bright children, or selective schools without such strict location criteria. Or you could move to Solihull!
ARK

Post by ARK »

HBS is an option we have. Of course, HBS is higher up the list than Parmiters, but we still prefer the latter as it has a fantastic atmosphere.
If pigs could fly...
User100

Post by User100 »

We are in the same situation with our son and I'm sure there are more in the same situation. Shame that they decided to change the rules just when our children are to go in Year 7.
Does anyone know how to reach an adjudicator? I believe if we all put a case forward, they could listen.
WP

Post by WP »

The arrangements have the same list of postcodes as last year, but formerly 95% of those selected came from this area, and now all of them have to. I would guess that this is their interpretation the requirement in section 2.21 of the new admissions code that "if they intend to give priority to siblings, [they] should ensure that their admission arrangements as a whole do not exclude families living nearer the school". The sibling criterion is clearly very important to them.

Unfortunately, I think Solimum's right about lobbying, and that the adjudicator won't help either: it's too late in the annual cycle to make objections, this isn't one of the types of objection that they would consider from parents, and the admissions code has a strong bias in favour of local schools for local children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now