100%??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ah

100%??

Post by ah »

Hi to anyone on the birmingham forum, if anyones there!!!

I have heard that the children who get into the KE schools are the ones who actually get 100% can anyone shed any light on this.

Daughter is hitting mid 90s in most papers (has a bad day at sometimes) but to be honest never 100%.

Thanks
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

My daughters didn't get 100%! Most of the children that go to KE schools are normal but at the higher end of the ability spectrum - ie, the ones that sit on the top table in primary school.

I am best talking about my younger daughter, as it is more recently that she took the KE test. She was capable of getting quite high marks, although I don't think 100% was realistic. She was also capable of getting quite low marks sometimes.

Just as an aside: I sat with a parent recently whose child was going into year 5, and she told me how all (and I mean all) the children who go to KE schools are hot housed and tutored from a very early age and they have to get 100% on the tests (and, by inference, that their parents are all mad). She didn't know my daughter went to Camp Hill, until she came out of the changing room in her uniform (it was a swimming lesson) - I had to laugh!

I am telling you this, because it is easy to become distracted in these final stressful days before the test. Relax and don't let other people put you off - I have heard such a lot of codswallop over the years. If you think that your child is capable of getting into a grammar school then go for it.

Good luck!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Ah

The rumour mill seems to start churning about the same time every year with stories about the ultra high scores required to pass the KE Foundation exams. These are inflated rumours - I don't know why some parents start them.

We have had a number of dicussions on this and I did obtain the actual scores from the KE Foundation (under a FOI request) for the 2005 exam and the scores were nothing like that. In fact the KE Tests are quite tough (mainly through time pressure) that the actual scores are very much lower than comparable NFER type 11+ exams throughout the rest of the country.

Take a look at the following previous thread for more information:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... highlight=

If you look at the statistics for KE Grammar school entry you will see that about 1 in 6 get through; so it tough to get in, but no more so than other LEA 11+ exams. The 100% is definitely wrong.
ah

Post by ah »

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Yes there seems to be some talk in the playground each hometime and yes my daughter is in the top sets for all her subjects but never gets 100% in the papers we do at home.

I am happy with her progress and quietly confidant, but i do worry when i hear these stories, so thanks again for putting my mind at ease, i dont understand why I feel so nervous when its my daughter who is going to sit the test!
fm

Post by fm »

I tutor for KE and managed to get 7 out of 9 into KE last year. None were getting 90% consistently. In fact, I don't find much correlation between 11 plus test scores and who gets in on the day. The ones I thought were bright (able to work out the unfamiliar, wide vocabulary, interesting children) would often underperform on tests yet still gain entry.
ah

Post by ah »

Thanks fm,

Thats actually quite interesting to know.

When you hear what some parents say about getting into KE you really do begin to believe that the children who go there are 'gifted' and sometimes you can feel that maybe your child isnt good enough.
fm

Post by fm »

Parents are prone to exaggeration. I tell a parent their child is doing well and by the time it hits the playground it has turned into 'our tutor says she is doing brilliantly!' On the 'gifted' line I have had 16 pupils enter KE in the last 3 years and only 1 would I have described as academically gifted.
Also the best pupils in a primary school are sometimes put on the gifted and talented register even though they would struggle to make top sets in a school with a more able intake. This gives child and parent an inflated idea of his/her ability.
ah

Post by ah »

To fm,

Thanks alot for all your help, as a tutor what would be your advice on the last few weeks coming up to the test.

ah
fm

Post by fm »

To Ah,
For Sutton, basically practise all three aspects, culminating in the NFER papers a couple of weeks before --time to repair rather than panic if the scores aren't up to scratch. Make sure you practise standard and multi because the school gave me a very vague answer which it is, this website thinks it's multi and some of my former pupils swear it is standard. Unless, of course, you know for definite.

Will post later on the subject of KE because I have to go to work.
ah

Post by ah »

Thank you fm, look forward to your next post!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now