Two offers form Bham LEA and Sandwell LEA

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brendan

Two offers form Bham LEA and Sandwell LEA

Post by brendan »

I submitted an appliction using a address in the sandwell lea and note I own this poperty but temporarily let it out. I lived with my mother temporarily (bham LEA address) and at the time of application I was living with at my mothers address. In February Sandwell lea rang me as they believed I didn't live at the address stated on the application and thus they transferred the application to Bham LEA. Now Sandwell lea has sent me an email today confirming my dd has been offered a place at Queen Marys High School and I rang Bham LEA to Confirm this, as my application was transferred. Bham LEA told me that they had offered a comprehensive school and grammar school had not been offered. How can this be ?

I am assuming the Walsall Admissions authority must have informed Sandwell LEA as the original application was submitted via them and some how the communication link has been broken with Birmingham LEA.

Does anybody have any advise on this as I'm worried that the offer will be withdrawn.
um

Re: Two offers form Bham LEA and Sandwell LEA

Post by um »

Seems like a rather awful mix up here.

The good news is that, if your dd has been offered a QMHS place, she should have a place, as her name will be on their list. I can't see them being able to withdraw it now.

The crucial question is, when you filled in your form, which school did you list first? If you listed QMHS and then the address was transferred, nobody had any authority to actuallt change your school preference unless you asked them to.

I would get in touch with QMHS first to hopefully offer some initial reassurance, and then contact the Local Authorities involved to unscramble what has happened. I hope all goes well!
peter5

Post by peter5 »

Probably need to edit to remove some info as they can withdraw the offer (check their site for details regarding when that can be done).
You know DC qualified for QM ,that's all you need moving forward with this clearing up.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Did you tell Sandwell at the time of the application that you were temporarily not living there?
Did you at any time tell them of your temporary address or did they just find out that you weren't living at the address you applied from?
As QMHS doesn't have a defined catchment area, the fact that you were resident in Birmingham shouldn't be a bar to a place, if the appropriate scores were achieved. There is some danger that the application could be deemed fraudulent though, if you knew that the address you were applying from was not at the time your permanent place of residence.
brendan

Post by brendan »

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by brendan on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

We don't know the cutoff for QMHS yet - but we do know that rank 256 has been offered a place. Keep an eye on the first post on this thread where updated information about cutoffs will be posted.