Green Bus - FW5 route

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nervousmom

Green Bus - FW5 route

Post by nervousmom »

Not asking for anyone's address, so don't worry,I'm not a stalker :lol:

Just wandered if anyone DC will be getting On FW5 green bus between Solihull and Wythall.

Really just wandering if an kids local to us have got a FW place, so my DS will not feel so isolated on the bus each day!
sasa

Re: Green Bus - FW5 route

Post by sasa »

My DD is in year 7 at CHG, and gets the Green Bus. In the summer term last year I got up early and went to follow the bus for a while along the route where we might be getting on..... and saw it stop no-where, with no local kids getting on!!! :( I was really disheartened that my DD might be all alone on the bus!!

So then I asked the school to forward a letter I'd written to other parents in my local area that were also going to be having daughters starting in year 7, and I managed to make contact with a couple. We organised that our DDs would get on at the same stop (we have to drive them there anyway, so I'd decided a couple more minutes to make sure she had bus mates wouldn't kill me) and now she has a great time on the bus with some really good friends.

So what I'm saying is - it's worth trying to sort something out via the school if necessary to make that all important first day at the bus stop easier. It certainly helped for me and my DD. :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Nervousmum

Just checked up with my DS who gets the bus with a number of KEFW friends from Wythall.

There are about 15 still left on the bus when he gets off at Wythall.

Don't worry he will be fine - they have a great time on the bus

The only issue is if he decides to do anything after school, you need to get in touch with other parents in the area to share lifts.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Hi, thanks for responses.

He will actually be getting the bus with some family members, he has four second cousins who get on the bus at Wythall, so he too will be getting on there, the stop just before them.

My real reason was to see if there were any local lads who would be starting year 7 this year, to see if he would have any friends who may be local, I.e for out of school activities etc.

I do have another question though, do the kids who start year 7 tend to get the bus on their very first day, or do their parents take them?
KenR

Post by KenR »

He will actually be able to get the Green Bus for the first time in July when they have their formal induction.

My son mentioned that there were some new year-7s who started this year and I'm sure there will be offers next Sept apart from you son.

I wouldn't recommend takinh him on the first day, better to let him catch the bus so he can start making new friends from day 1.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thanks Ken.

I assume all relevant details of this will be given to us by the school. I also assume for this tha the induction day is a school day.
koala

Post by koala »

I agree with KenR about DS getting on the Green Bus on their induction day. It is great for them to experience the bus in readiness for end of August. The green bus, although expensive, is a very safe and reliable way for them to travel. We went into school yesterday morning and my DC insisted we drop them off at the bus stop as they didn't want to travel in with us! All the children wear their uniform for Induction Day. They grow up so quickly at senior school and manage quite well without us! There are new year 7s on all the green buses each year.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thanks koala.

I think we worry so much about them, we forget they are growing up.

it sounds like it`s going to be an exciting few months for him.

I was planning on buying uniform in schools holidays, looks like we`ll be going shopping earlier now!

Do we speak to Green Bus people about the induction day, how does it work?
koala

Post by koala »

He will get a letter from KEFW about the induction day which he takes with him to show the driver. The drivers have all been briefed that Y6 children,in their current school uniform, will be getting on the bus. They have obviously done it for some years and they know that they are doing - it worked well on the day. You can pick him up from school on that day as they finish early to avoid the rest of the school leaving, or he can wait to catch the bus back home. You will be informed about uniform sale day by the school also. Exciting times ahead for you and DS. Mine are now in Y8 and making GCSE option choices - their induction day seems easy now and so long ago. Best wishes.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thanks for the information.