Volume of evidence ?? Slough Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SloughDad

Volume of evidence ?? Slough Appeal

Post by SloughDad »

Hi All,

My son has been offered a place in Burnham Grammar (which we are pleased with) but due to transport and logistical reasons we would have prefered a Slough Grammar school but unfortunately he has missed out.

We are there planning an appeal for a Grammar School in Slough and require a little bit of advice on how much supporting eveidence to submit with the original application.

We have the following already:
Strong supporting letter from Head
School reports
Good Year 5 CAT's - overall mean SAS is 131
Good Year 6 CAT's - Overall mean SAS is 126
Reading Age (at end of year 5) was 12:6+
Spelling Age (at end of year 5) was 15:10

My question is should we include anything else to the above and how much of his school work should we include?

I do not want to overwhealm the appeal panel with copies of school work but at the same time do not want to miss an opportunity as evidence submitted two weeks before the hearing will not be considered.

Thank you for your responses

SloughDad
Last edited by SloughDad on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Re: Volume of evidence ?? Slough Appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

SloughDad wrote:Good Year 5 SAT's
Good Year 6 CAT's
Can you be more specific than just "Good"?
My question is should we include anything else to the above and how much of his school work should we include?
Take a look at the Appeal Q&As, especially B11: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SloughDad

Post by SloughDad »

[quote="Sally-Anne"]
Can you be more specific than just "Good"? ]

I have edited my original post, I hope this helps
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you.

The CATs look fine, although if there is one very high figure and another rather lower one, it might be something that a panel might raise as an issue. The reading age is probably in the average range for a GS child but the spelling age is excellent.

I should warn you now that if this is an appeal for Slough GS itself, they are notoriously tough to win.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See also previous threads:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... um#p365142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Sally-Anne wrote:Thank you.

The CATs look fine, although if there is one very high figure and another rather lower one, it might be something that a panel might raise as an issue. The reading age is probably in the average range for a GS child but the spelling age is excellent.

I should warn you now that if this is an appeal for Slough GS itself, they are notoriously tough to win.
Hi Sally Anne, any insight on the success rate for other Slough consortium schools, Herschel, Langley and St Bernards? thanks
chad

Post by chad »

Unfortunately for Slough Consortium schools you are submitting evidence for both non qualification (should 111 not have been achieved) and also oversubscription. If you do not live close to Slough Grammar then you must put enough evidence in so to prove that not only should the child have achieved 111 but should have achieved the cut off score.