Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pensby

Calday 2008 admissions

Post by Pensby »

In case anyone doesn't yet know,from open evening tonight

admissions for next year up to 240 !

head said "anyone who passes 11+ and puts them 1st will be almost guaranteed a place where ever they live!"

good news I thought

Pensby
HopefulDen

Calday admissions

Post by HopefulDen »

Yep he was quite clear about it all-he did say though to us last night that they were still in dispute with the WEA over this so who knows if this will be the final number-pensby-what did you think? or more importantly what did your son think?
Ours loved it-already decide he was going to do Russian and French and join the combined cadet forces! He loved the music rooms too being that way inclined, the daughter of his current music tutor teaches at Calday and she was there last night. I told him not count his chickens and concentrate on passing the exam first. Difficult to strike the balance between keeping them confident but not wanting them to be over confident (pride before a fall and all that!).
Den
Denise J
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den
Were you at the talk at 7pm?
Our son loved it too,he had been before to an able children course and wanted to show us the bits he knew,was most impressesd by the tech block,did'nt see music rooms,what does he play ,ours plays violin .

Have told him as long as he works hard and keeps his head on the day he sholud be fine,so maybe they will meet!!

He also fancies the cadet force especially RAF,keep i touch as the dreaded day approaches !!

Pensby
HopefulDen

cadets

Post by HopefulDen »

Hi Pensby
Yes we went at 7pm. The science labs were great-all of those hands on experiments-so much so that my younger son, who is 5, had a go as well and he said " This school is very big" " I want to go here"- so I've probably got to go through it all again arrrgh!
If both of our boys get in it looks like they will definitely know each other as our boy is interested in the RAF-he's wanted to learn how to be pilot for about the past 5 years. Interestingly a prominent staff member of the combined cadet forces is...the librarian. Apparently she will be the staff leader in the next year or 2. I was talking to her at the last open day and she was really nice.
Our son plays keyboard-taking his 3rd exam this term-keen on drama too so was impressed by the drama studio. Although we will go to look at wirral and it is probaly a more natural choice because of family links and distance we prefer Calday and it's going down as our 1st choice. with Wirral as second. We are putting Mosslands down as our choice of all ability school as he has a good chance of getting in there and it looks pretty decent.
Just need the big push now to get through. Any tips from anyone about anything very welcome.
still as ever
Hopeful Den
Denise J
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hiya Den,
We aren't sure about our 3 choices,obviously Calday 1st and will have to put Pensby down as it's nearest comp,even though it's awful!!

Most of his mates will go to Pensby so although he really wants Calday it will have to be a choice. Don't know what else to pick!,we are not on a bus route to Wirral and as we are neither catholic or chuch goers St Anselms is not an option.

So it feels like Calday or bust! at least when it was my daughter 3 years ago Pensby Girls wasn't such a bad alternative but the boys is dire, what is Mossland like I don't know it.

Any helpful ideas as to another choice would be good or it will have to be just 2

Pensby
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi there,

Just another option for you, although it may not be viable.. Neston High has a fantastic reputation.

Hopefully you won't need to settle for 2nd choice.
My fingers are crossed for you both.

AM
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hello appeal Mum,
Good to hear from you,unfortunately we have no bus routes fron Pensby to Neston either!otherwise would be a good alternative,

Keep checking in with Wirral please(it's sunny here like California, honest!)

thanks Pensby
Me again

Post by Me again »

Hi Pensby-Den here just being lazy not signing in.

One the best school for results on the Wirral is Ridgeway and parents fight to get their kids in there. It had a great Ofsted report-however I've heard things about it being really really strict and stiffling for the kids.
Woodchurch also had an excellent Ofsted report.
Mosslands is a good solid school on the of Wallasey/Birkenhead junction-with good transport and motorway links.I liked their website when I read it and it came across as thoughtful-It's also single sex which I also liked and a good music department again-kids can do music GCSE if they wish. Also has a 6th form-again I think this is important.
Only other one that looked exciting was South Wirral School of Performing Arts but that's in Eastham so quite a hike and is also normally oversubscribed.
Regarding the rest on the Wirral-well not much choice there so forget the rest I think.
In your case you'll either get your 1st or 2nd choice so don't worry about it too much
Den
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Only other one that looked exciting was South Wirral School of Performing Arts but that's in Eastham so quite a hike and is also normally oversubscribed.
I agree with you there Denise! South Wirral has an excellent reputation, It was our second choice.

AM
WP

Re: Calday 2008 admissions

Post by WP »

Pensby wrote:In case anyone doesn't yet know,from open evening tonight

admissions for next year up to 240 !

head said "anyone who passes 11+ and puts them 1st will be almost guaranteed a place where ever they live!"
An adjucator has just overturned this increase: it's back at 180.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now