Other options if you don't pass 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daddy123

Other options if you don't pass 11 plus

Post by Daddy123 »

Please advise on other options, other than 11 plus.
We are planning to move to Taplow soon and wanted to know comprehensive and independent options in and around this area.
scary mum

Re: Other options if you don't pass 11 plus

Post by scary mum »

There are no comprehensive schools in Bucks, but in Taplow you would be near the Maidenhead schools. Indies - Claire's Court/Maidenhead College?
Just google independent schools Maidenhead or schools Maidenhead and then ask about specific schools & I'm sure people will advise.
scary mum
akwukwo

Post by akwukwo »

We live in watford, my ds did not pass QE- on waiting list number 80 and did not get watford grammar- score was 232.
do you think i have any chance applying for a 12+ grammar schools?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

akwukwo wrote:We live in watford, my ds did not pass QE- on waiting list number 80 and did not get watford grammar- score was 232.
do you think i have any chance applying for a 12+ grammar schools?
Maybe start your own thread? From Watford you could probably get to Chesham Grammar - not sure of the transport links.
scary mum
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

scary mum wrote:There are no comprehensive schools in Bucks, but in Taplow you would be near the Maidenhead schools. Indies - Claire's Court/Maidenhead College?
Thanks SM for the info. Presume there are few upper schools or academies for kids who don't get Grammar.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Of course, just look on the Bucks County Council website for catchment areas etc. I though you meant you didn't want an upper school.
scary mum
guest666

Post by guest666 »

For Taplow the catchment Secondary modern is Burnham E-Act Academy (formerly Burnham Upper)
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

We live in Taplow / Dorney too - elder daughter goes to Becky High and loves it. Younger one goes to St Pirans in Maidenhead - started in Y4. We pulled her from our catchment primary as we were concerned they were not stretching the more academic kids enough, and have not regretted the move - she is flying now.

In terms of other options this is where this area can be a challenge if they don't qualify. Personally I would not use Burnham Academy (and I did go and see it - 3 times) - it is the catchment Upper, but is most definitely an Upper. For the kids at the brighter end I think they limit their options too much. For example they only offer one lauguage - French - and many other restrictions. IMHO its better to look at the Maidenhead comprehensives if no qualification for grammar - but you should go any look yourself - it may have changed a lot since I went 2 years ago.

Altwood, Newlands (girls), and Cox Green in Maidenhead are popular comprehensives. Newlands is lovely - but not many from out of Maidenhead get in - but kids from Burnham / Taplow go to the others. There is a boys comp too - on Shoppenhangars lane - can't remember the name! Buses run along the A4 from Taplow area.

Independents - not too many choices locally cos of the grammar system - but Claires Court in Maidenhead, Licensed Victuallers in Ascot, The Abbey and Blue Coats in Reading are a few!

Good luck in your planning! It's not easy!! :D
missmarple

Post by missmarple »

My son went to Claire's Court and loved it. He did well enough to transfer to SWBGS for A levels so we only paid for 5 years! I can't recommend Claire's Court highly enough.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

In terms of other options this is where this area can be a challenge if they don't qualify. Personally I would not use Burnham Academy (and I did go and see it - 3 times) - it is the catchment Upper, but is most definitely an Upper. For the kids at the brighter end I think they limit their options too much. For example they only offer one lauguage - French - and many other restrictions. IMHO its better to look at the Maidenhead comprehensives if no qualification for grammar - but you should go any look yourself - it may have changed a lot since I went 2 years ago.

Kind of what I was getting at :D
scary mum