WGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rubyred

WGGS

Post by Rubyred »

Hi,
Could anyone whose daughter attends the school, please tell me what it is like?
Thanks Ruby
mushroom

Re: WGGS

Post by mushroom »

Broad question, if there is anything specific please ask. My daughter is in Year 7. Initial impressions are:

- Head, comes across as very scary on open days but look at the interactions between her and the pupils and it is a different story. She teaches all the Year 7s thinking skills which I personally think is brilliant as the head at primary thought she was too busy to do any teaching. She makes the times to get to know the new intake and knows first hand how they are settling in. Inside the school she is warm and encouraging.

- Staff, what impresses me the most is again the interaction between the staff and the children. I admit I've not had much exposure but I'm impressed by the encouragement and reward that is given. Also the way the staff seem to get involved in extracurricular stuff, giving up their time and sticking their hands in their pockets when the children comes up with ideas on how to raise money for charity.

- reward, support and recognition, pupils seems to be praised and rewarded at every opportunity, receive support where needed and extension where merited.

- extra curricular activities, too many to choose from, everyone encouraged to join in at least 3.

- academic, cover KS3 in 2 years instead of 3.

- pupils, broad mix all seem very nice.

Tailing off now so any questions please ask.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I have a question (daughter currently in Y4). If a child got a sibling place but was of average academic ability but hard working, do you think they would cope with the workload and pace of learning?
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Great answer by mushroom and I totally agree especially about Dame Helen Hyde, she does try to scare off parents a bit but once in the school, she is very different. My DD is in Y9 just taking options and absolutely loves the school. The academic side is impressive but they do stream for some subjects and encourage a great work ethic to do the best with what you have got, rather than try to compete with the best. They reward Excellence and Effort just the same in my view. My DD got the Y7 award for Effort a couple of years ago for trying and doing her best which is all I have ever wished for my kids to do.

They have amazing extra curricular activities and DD plays in about 3 orchestras, a choir and is in the lower school production. DD has good friends who have the same commitment but to sport and various other clubs and activities.

Your DD's will have to work hard; they really throw a lot of work at them right from the off in Y7. This is to get them used to a different work ethic from junior school and works pretty well but can take a while to get used to. My DD was no problem as she is a hard worker but DS who is probably smarter but lazier has found it harder to cope with discipline that the work load requires (WBGS Y7 currently).

So to 3b1g - Only you will know for sure but in my view, academic ability at WGGS is just one part of the school. Art, Music, Sport and Languages all have just a high focus as the traditional Maths, English and Sciences. If DD is as you say a hard worker she will easily cope as that is what the school is about really.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Thank you, Cutting42. At the moment she is middle of middle set in a mixed ability year of 90. Don't worry too much about your DS: mine found that there was a lot of homework in Y7 but much less in Y8. Either that or he's becoming more organised!
Rubyred

Post by Rubyred »

Thank you for your replies that is incredably useful to know. My daughter is very apprehensive as none of her friends got a place there. It is nice to know what the general impression of the school is. My son is at the boys school (yr 8) and I am disappointed- but then boys are very different. Thanks Ruby