Bus from TGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Bus from TGS

Post by tiffinboys »

Tiffingirls and other TGS parents:

Just an idea: why not try to get one or 2 buses of route 57, 65, 213 and 281 starting from TGS after school times? I know 213 bus starting from our other local school and am also aware of dedicated school bus from Wallington Girls to Worcester Park.

I think TGS and Kingston Council's Transport Committee can help. It wouldn't cost London Buses anything as presumably, the kids would be travelling in these buses any way. Only they would catch the bus easily and at the School's door step, saving waiting times and less inconveniece to other passengers.
Snowdaddy

Re: Bus from TGS

Post by Snowdaddy »

I think you would need to chase TfL buses if you wanted to request a route change.

A peice of history for you, the 213 did have a school days only extension to Ham (Richmond Rd / Tudor Drive junction which is one stop north of TGS), so its possible to do, but it only ran in 1990

You might also like to suggest the 691 is re-routed, it is a school bus from North Kingston to Hollyfield school (Surbiton) which calls at the TGS stop, but is normally empty in North Kingston as Hollyfield has for a few years had a small catchment (2013 distance is only 1.7km) so pupils from North Kingston cant get into Hollyfield anyway. Dont mix it up with the 671 which is a school bus to TGS from Chessington and Surbiton.

Hope this helps
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks snowdaddy. Hope TGS and parents there take this up.

My idea was not any major route change. Only for few buses to start from TGS (instead of Kingston) e.g 57, 213, 281. Only 65 starts from else where. If one 65 starts for south and one for north from TGS, it will greatly help, I think.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

tiffinboys wrote:Thanks snowdaddy. Hope TGS and parents there take this up.

My idea was not any major route change. Only for few buses to start from TGS (instead of Kingston) e.g 57, 213, 281. Only 65 starts from else where. If one 65 starts for south and one for north from TGS, it will greatly help, I think.

Have some inside info which has come from a friend of a friend that works for the buses.

Starting some buses from TGS towards Kingston is possible (they can either run empty and use Park Road and Tudor Drive 371 route to get to the start) or wait at the Dukes Avenue bus stand (used by occasional 65 buses turned at Ham). Didn't think you would get anything heading Northbound from TGS as the only 65 turning point (the Right turn from Richmond Road outside Kingston station) was blocked off and converted to a cycle lane a few years ago, forcing all traffic around the one way system.

However it sounds like TfL bus budget is being cut (or frozen) so your only realistic option is to also suggest a cut elsewhere otherwise you will fail on affordability factor. As I suggested earlier would push for cutting the 691 instead, now that Holyfield schools catchment has shrunk drastically to 1.7km so doesn't really need a dedicated school bus. He also suggested you need to get the bus Operator on your side with comments like leaving passengers behind, service being delayed by boarding queues etc. But of course didn't officially want to suggest you need to keep writing to get anywhere.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you, Snowdaddy.

I am sure if TGS parents/PTA/Governors were to take this proposal to TfL, something positive will come out for the benefit of TGS pupils.
Ela

Post by Ela »

Does anybody use K5? It's a direct bus from Morden station. The only problem is that it is going once every hour and my DD will have to wait for about 45min until school starts. With the next bus she would be late. Just wondering if many children use K5. I don't know what the process of submitting this to TFL, but maybe it would be possible to ask TFL to shift the timetable so it suits children better, if there's enough interest from the public?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Ela wrote:Does anybody use K5? It's a direct bus from Morden station. The only problem is that it is going once every hour and my DD will have to wait for about 45min until school starts. With the next bus she would be late. Just wondering if many children use K5. I don't know what the process of submitting this to TFL, but maybe it would be possible to ask TFL to shift the timetable so it suits children better, if there's enough interest from the public?
Hi Ela, The K5 is a possible route, but it is really a shoppers bus and goes a long way around to fill in areas not served by main bus routes, thus takes a long time. The timetable shows it is
69 minutes off peak from Morden, but 84 minutes in the peak. nearest to TGS is junction of Cardinall Ave and Aragon Road then a couple of minutes walk along Fernhill Gardens. I suspect there are more frequent and faster alternatives (even if you had to change couple of times) than sitting on K5 for over an hour. Also for the return there are no bus shelters (as it is hail and ride) which wouldn't be good on a rainy day

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/K05.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
catcool

Post by catcool »

You would be far better to either get one of the buses from Morden that goes to Raynes Park, then pick up 131 to Kingston or
get the 93 from Morden to North Cheam then pick up the 213.
Both the 213/131 only go to Kingston town Centre and you still have to get to TG Most of the girls walk from Kingston to the school in any event .
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Info from my friend who works on the buses.

TfL has just awarded 2 year contract extensions from July 2014 to July 2016 on the 65 and 371 routes so they will continue for extra 2 years as now. Had the contracts gone out to tender later this year (for 2014 start date) then TfL might have consulted on changes. So apart from potentially some minor operational tweaks, service levels will be same for next 3 years.