Bushey Meads/Queens - Waiting List

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
toostressed

Bushey Meads/Queens - Waiting List

Post by toostressed »

Hi, does anyone have any past experience of how quickly or not the waiting list for Bushey Meads or Queens moves? If anyone can tell me roughly what number they went to on the previous years it may give me some hope. I know things change from year to year but it may give me an idea. thank you
AlisonR

Re: Bushey Meads/Queens - Waiting List

Post by AlisonR »

Hi toostressed

You don't say which waiting lists you are talking about, distance, music, academic, sports, technology.

You could look at the Statistics sticky topic at the top of this forum for more detailed info... but to summarise, in the past the Queens academic test has moved about 5 or 6 marks, so if the same happens this year this means they may offer for scores down to 213 or 212. Distance for Queens moved a little last year but in the previous few years there was little, if any, movement.

For Bushey Meads, it would all depend on which band you are in, but it you look at the stats you will be able to see how much distance each band has moved in recent years.

Hope this helps,
Alison
toostressed

Post by toostressed »

hi, Queens school for academic and distance and Bushey Meads Band B which now he is banded will be on distance. I can see from the statistics the movements for both distance and points, but I would be interested to see how they actually equate to numbers. ie, what number on the waiting list were you when you got the offer? I'm not sure why this will help me but I am clutching at the moment.
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I'm afraid I can't help you there but have you tried asking the schools for this info?
I've found both admissions departments to be very helpful in the past.

Alison
toostressed

Post by toostressed »

AlisonR, thank you so much for your responses x
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

OP I can't answer your question precisely but I can give you a little bit of extra info. We are based in Bushey and I can see that for my DS's junior school over 90% of DCs got their 1st choice school which in 80% of cases will be BM or Queens. So sorry that doesn't help much.

Band B seems to be historically over-subscribed so after academic score, distance is the tie-breaker. I heard of 1 Band B DC last year who lived in Oxhey who didn't get a place from the waiting list.

I happened to be chatting to the head of BM just as DS was doing the CATs test last year (July before they start) and in conversation he told me that 3 or 4 families had got their DCs in on appeal.

Finally, what school did your DC get allocated? In the past posters have provided some very helpful and positive experiences of schools which do not elicit the same 'air time' on this forum.

Good luck with your wait.
mumoftwo11

Post by mumoftwo11 »

Hi
Being in your situation last year I know you want all the information you can get. We did not get any of our choices on allocation day and I thought my world (and his) had ended! My son qualified for Bushey Meads under band B and admissions advised me he was no. 17 on the waiting list. We had to wait until the second allocation run for any movement where he moved to no.5, admissions advised me to call the school every couple of weeks to confirm if there was any further movement. In the intrim I lodged an appeal which we subsequently went on to win, however if we had sat tight and not appealled he still would of gained a place by September as the furthest distance of a place offerred in the band B moved from 3292 to 4678.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by mumoftwo11 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WP

Post by WP »

Just noting that rejecting the school you've been offered isn't necessary in order to appeal, or to go on waiting lists, and there's no evidence that it helps. On the other hand if you reject the offer and neither the appeal nor the waiting list succeeds, your position in September would be even worse.
mumoftwo11

Post by mumoftwo11 »

Hi

No not necessary to reject school to appeal for a place. You are advised by the LEA to accept what you have been offered. We were lucky enough to secure an out of borough place at a school we were 'cautiously happy' to send him too, so knew he has somewhere to go if we lost the appeal/were still on the waiting list by September.
Last edited by mumoftwo11 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

mumoftwo11, I too am on the waiting list for Bushey Meads (no 36 - band B) admissions lady who is very helpful said that last year the CIL moved quickly towards the end so last year I would have managed to get a place but not until much later on in the year. I don't think my nerves are going to cope. I too am thinking of appealing, not quite sure on what grounds yet! If you would be able to share your experience with me I would greatly appreciate it (by PM if preferred)