Westcliffe girls

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jrashid1

Westcliffe girls

Post by Jrashid1 »

Hi, please can someone help me on this. My daughter got 333(outside catchment) which I was advised will be a guaranteed placement, but she was not offered a place.i am really confused. Can someone share some light to hat the pass mark needed for this year as the guidance and headteacher told me that with these marks she will definitely get in.....please advise
moved

Re: Westcliffe girls

Post by moved »

Go to the Essex part of the forum and look at the sticky regarding cut offs.

The catchment was huge, the Chelmsford schools introduced a catchment, which pushed the out of catchment children from North and West Essex to Southend.

Do you grounds for an appeal?
Jrashid1

Post by Jrashid1 »

Yes...I think on two grounds, my daughters cat was run over a week before the test and she was very upset...and secondly the headteacher telling me that she will get in. I am not sure if hey count as appeal material but I am very annoyed as I thought she was in. Do you what the actual passmark was for out of catchment now....any avice will be good. Thanks
moved

Post by moved »

You can phone Southend Council to find her place on the waiting list.

Your daughter would have got in last year or previously. A Headteacher making a mistake isn't grounds for an appeal. The mistake did not change her score. Did you apply for SHSG?
aang

Post by aang »

You have been advised poorly. The sheet with guidance scores that came with your child's 11+ result was for guidance purposes only, and not a guarantee. The only surety would have been if you were in catchment for Southend and Westcliff schools in which case a score 305 or above would put you in a very strong position.

Based on the information shared by other forum users in the Essex thread, for Westcliff High School for Girls out of catchment, 344.628 was offered a place whereas 336.861 was not offered but presently third on waiting list. Bear in mind that there can be many scores before 333 (a score of 336.449 is currently around sixth on waiting list). You can always telephone Southend LEA - 01702 215007 Ext:5914 and find out what position you are in the waiting list.

Note also that for Southend School for girls, out of catchment score of 328 was offered a place, so you may want to reconsider your school preferences.

In terms of grounds of appeal, cat dying seems tenuous unless substantiated with compelling evidence how that can affect academic performance. I can't see how a headteacher's opinion would carry much weight. If you do wish to appeal read the valuable advice in this forum which is about providing strong evidence of academic ability and why that school is suitable for your child.
Jrashid1

Post by Jrashid1 »

Hi all, Thankyou for your quick response. Do you think it is worth appealing.....I was advised that she was 23 in the waiting lst, is a chance she may get an offer?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Did you apply for SHSG?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.